Saved Plan View is not saving the plan view

Ed_Orum

This house is a Bi-Level.  The lower walls are pony wall.
I have two Saved Plan Views I send to the layout. 

The First one is called "Floor Plan View Dimensioned"  When I send this to the layout, Iwant the lower level pony walls to display the upper part of the pony wall and the lower wall outline.

The Second one is called "Foundation And Footings PlanView" .  When I send this to the layout, I want only the lower portion of the pony wall to display.

So, withe the "Floor Plan View Dimensioned" plan view open, I select the exterior walls, and under the WallsType tab I select the option for displaying the upper pony wall and the outline for the loer wall.  Works great, just whatI want so I go the Project Browser and save this plan view.  Off itgoes to the Layout page.

Next, I switch to the "Foundation and Footings Plan View" and under the Walls Type option I select "lower wall".  Then in the Project Browser I save the plan view.

So, in theory, the Floor Plan Dimensioned plan view when sent to the Layout should show the Upper Wall, and the outline for the Lower Wall.  The Foundation and Footings Plan View wnen sent to the layout should show only the lower wall.

But, the walls show up in both plan views as whateve I had opened last.  They do not keep their individual characteristics, and I cannot get both plan views to only show the walls as I want them to be shown.  

So, if there is a trick to this, please let me know.  The plan is attached.

Many thanks in advance.

BiLevel 5230.zip

14 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

So, if there is a trick to this, please let me know.  The plan is attached.

No need to open the file on this one, just need an adjustment to your approach. Wall specifications are independent of the capabilities of saved plan views. Instead considering your foundation stem walls at level 0 and build your basement on level 1. You could then use a reference display on level 0 from level 1 for more dynamic control of display

47 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

No need to open the file on this one, just need an adjustment to your approach. Wall specifications are independent of the capabilities of saved plan views. Instead considering your foundation stem walls at level 0 and build your basement on level 1. You could then use a reference display on level 0 from level 1 for more dynamic control of display

Where do I find the "Level" for the foundation plan and the upper walls plan?

Just now, Ed_Orum said:

No idea what I missed in the responses, but still acting the same way.

So I will save the foundation plan as a CAD file and do it that way.

Thanks for your responses.

No.  Don’t do that.  Ignore Rene’s response and read mine again.  You just need to make the change in your Plan View Specification and NOT in your Wall Specification.  

• Upvote 1

By the way, I’m not against what Rene is suggesting.  It’s just something entirely different from what I’m talking about and doesn't actually address your fundamental misunderstanding.  The core of your original issue is simply that you’re making changes in the wrong dialog.  

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

By the way, I’m not against what Rene is suggesting.  It’s just something entirely different from what I’m talking about and doesn't actually address your fundamental misunderstanding.  The core of your original issue is simply that you’re making changes in the wrong dialog.  

Learned something new, thanks Mike, hadn't ever noticed we could control it in SPV's

12 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You're just changing the setting in the wrong place.  Change your Pony Walls themselves back to Use Default and then make changes to their display settings in you Plan View Specifications>Pony Wall Display

Thanks.  I made the changes as you suggested, but still the same result. 

In the project browser, I clicked on the "Floor Plan View Dimensioned" and set the pony wall to show the upper wall and the lower wall outline.

I did the same for the "Foundation and Footings" Plan View, then under the pony wall specification made it to "lower wall".

But the two are still linked, and a change to one saved plan view changes the other one and vice versa.  They simply will not act independently of each other.

51 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

They simply will not act independently of each other.

They will. Something is wrong in your settings. Did you exactly follow Michael's instructions?

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Change your Pony Walls themselves back to Use Default and then make changes to their display settings in you Plan View Specifications>Pony Wall Display

I think the setting  Michael is referring to is in your project browser. If you right click on the saved plan view in there and go to the "edit plan view" in the drop down. Under this dbx set the plan display of pony walls to what you want. save and close. 

edit saved plan view dbx.jpg

You still have to do as Michael said and change the Wall Specification back to "Use Default."

350754324_ScreenShot2023-03-16at8_59_38AM.thumb.png.d52ae74e7d055d351602900a5b5f3b04.png

1 hour ago, Ed_Orum said:

I made the changes as you suggested, but still the same result. 

I made the changes to your plan as he suggested, and it worked as you want it to. Be sure to Save the changes to the SPVs after changing the settings.

So the saved plan view has has "pony wall display" settings to control how pony walls will look in plan view. The pony wall also has these settings.  If the pony wall is set to "use default" it will use the plan view settings, otherwise it uses what you set in the wall dialog.

This is kind of like when you draw a cad line and go to the "line style" page and change the color or line style.  When you do that, the line won't use your layer settings.

11 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

Under Wall Defaults, the Exterior wall is 2x6 Siding, the pony wall is set to default.

You need to make the change on your individual walls, not just in your defaults.  Your individual walls have already been compromised.  Change all those pony walls in your plan back to Use Default. 

25 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

Oh well, back to saving it as a CAD view.

Thanks everyone!

No!! Stick with it! This works just like you want it to, I've been doing it for years. You just don't have the settings right yet. Go into the individual walls and change them back to default, you already changed them once, change them back. That's all you're missing.

• Like 1