Gable front roof

Cadwork22

Go to solution Solved by Doug_N,

It looks to me like your shed-style porch roof plane is continuous across the front and the gable roof is built on top of it.

What I would probably do is copy-paste in place the shed roof plane, pull one end of the shed roof plane across until the corner of its fascia meets the lower corner of the fascia on one of your gable roof planes, then use the "join roof planes" tool to merge the gable roof plane with your newly edited shed roof plane.

Repeat this procedure with the other copy of the shed roof plane for the opposite side of the gable roof.

Just now, Cadwork22 said:

Thank you!  If you have time, can you tell me what you did to the porch?

There's just too many steps to just write it down. If I get time I'll make you a short video...no promises. 

• Solution

Very similar to Steve's solution. I did this before I noticed that Steve had fixed it.

I copied down all the roof pitches, turned on autorebuild roofs, then worked my way around the building adjusting pitches, gable and hip roof settings.  I had to fix some ceiling heights and then created the gable for the entrance using a gable wall line. Disabled auto roof build and then adjusted the gable.

image.thumb.png.b660c48cef0a2c75053d2d1cd965490a.png

Kinzler Roof Problem.zip

I got an update on the plan and they wanted the front wall out another 8'.  So, I had to move the roof plane/porch you created out 8' as well.  Everything looks good except the gable goes through ceiling in the front bedroom. I tried messing with the pitch and top height and that didn't work...

Maybe pay a pro to do this for you, and include those charges when you bill the client who keeps moving things around.

I opened Steve's "fixed" file, selected the porch roofs and those for the gable, moved them out 8' using transfer>move, and edited the roofs to join.  The walls were locked so I did not bother with them to move the post/beam walls out, but the gable truss was not locked so I moved it out too.

I suggest you engage with a truss engineer to see how this best gets framed.  Where I do work there are limits on truss lengths and heights due to transport.

Screenshot 2023-03-19 132955.png

Digging into this just a tad more, I see your ceiling heights for the living side of this project is at 11 feet, which seems a weird choice.  Why not 10 feet, which results in a far more efficient use of framing lumber, and sheetrock?

And your exterior wall build seems questionable.  You show two framing layers one 4 inch one 10 inch.  Are you planning to double-frame for doing high-R insulation?

Your heel heights over the exterior walls at rear don't look right for someone who is doing ultra thick walls for energy.  What kind of R for ceiling are you looking for?  Is blown cellulose the plan?