Structural Shear Program

jtcapa1

Do any of you guys do your own structural engineering?

If so, what programs do you recommend?

I learned to do it by hand over 40 years ago, but have always relied on professional structural engineers to do my lateral shear loads.

I'm in a bind with one client that cannot way the months it will take to get it engineered.

I remember seeing some kind of program online that was simpler looking than the 'Wood Works" program my engineer likes to use.

Hey John, for Braced Wall/Shear I use a website called Braceline. Its very similar to the APA Shear Calc site or the Simpson Calc, but in my opinion is very easy to use. It's $40 per month, has a few YouTube videos to train you up. I think there is also a 30 day trial. For everything else (tall walls, etc), it goes to my Engineer.

Hi JT,

This is just a caution on assuming risk, which you don't want and shouldn't have to take on - merely to benefit your client. The waiting period is not within your control, and this should not be a burden placed squarely on you. If something goes wrong with the project, are you willing to assume the cost and nightmare of having to remediate an issue? 

Don't do it on your own even if you have the know-how. Your client should be respectful of that. You will also thank yourself later in case anything happens like a once in a blue moon windstorm and the house experienced some lateral movement.

Having said that, see if you can get an engineer. There must be more than a handful in your area. Many surveyors have engineering resources in-house. The ones who design septic systems usually also have civil backgrounds.  

My two cents... all the best. 

39 minutes ago, VHampton said:

This is just a caution on assuming risk, which you don't want and shouldn't have to take on - merely to benefit your client. The waiting period is not within your control, and this should not be a burden placed squarely on you. If something goes wrong with the project, are you willing to assume the cost and nightmare of having to remediate an issue? 

Don't do it on your own even if you have the know-how. Your client should be respectful of that. You will also thank yourself later in case anything happens like a once in a blue moon windstorm and the house experienced some lateral movement.

Agree! Furthermore, there may be additional liability if you are not licensed as an engineer or architect by the state where the building is to be constructed.

2 hours ago, wazzubrad said:

Hey John, for Braced Wall/Shear I use a website called Braceline. Its very similar to the APA Shear Calc site or the Simpson Calc, but in my opinion is very easy to use. It's $40 per month, has a few YouTube videos to train you up. I think there is also a 30 day trial. For everything else (tall walls, etc), it goes to my Engineer.

Thank you.  That is what I was looking for.

I do understand the liability issue, but I'm not concerned in this case. Plus I can over design it.

If you know it's bullet proof, then all good. 

Either way, more often than not, it's a great idea to have that peace of mind, not just for the designer but for the owner. 

Each state can vary regarding the need to have a licensed professional provide review and approval. But when a building department is asking for certification of load bearing, whether it be lateral or gravity loads, it means that they don't want to assume the burden of risk.   

• Upvote 1