Group Select Arch Block Vs Cad Block To Model Timber Truss

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by Evolution,

Thanks to Glenn Woodward (S-AU) I was able to get as far as I have (see clip) model one of several varying size timber trusses for the current plan I've been working on. I need to duplicate it, however, when group selecting and making a cad block everything disappears, literally!, thankfully I used a back up copy to work on, but now that I have it to this point (which I readily admit is NOT PERFECT) I cannot seem to find a way to (group) select it copy paste etc., or use the multiple copy tool, in 3D I can select some parts but not the rafters for instance, even in elev section camera only certain pieces are selectable.

Glenn's suggestion was to build the roof framing, then (for instance) select a rafter copy it, and make it the top chord (thickness etc., as needed). The remaining "fret work". The arched bottom chord are poly line solids.

Your kind help appreciated.

Plan is attached.

I forgot to mention I DO have framing turned on in all views.

post-1662-0-40891500-1423251149_thumb.png

post-1662-0-99421900-1423251162_thumb.png

post-1662-0-32794300-1423251182_thumb.png

Current Progress Set 2.6.2015.zip

Framing won't show in camera views when it's in a cad block.  If you explode your block, it should show up.

Isn't this the dumbest thing......  hey P.  you remember 8 years ago sitting in that CA seminar with Mont,  and we figured out if the framing was blocked it would not show in 3D.

If I remember exactly,  it was a POST AND FOOTING under the floor that we would block and transform replicate.....  unfortunately if it was blocked we could not see it.  

Hey  CA,  fix this please after you fix the stairs,  thank you.

EDIT:  It wasn't 8 years ago,  I think it was 9 years ago,  November 2005....... jeez,  have I been struggling with this program for over 9 years already?  No wonder I am fat and bald.

I have done a lot of timber framing in CA.  The best that I have figured is to make the roof without the framing.  Take an elevation view (or cross section) of it and make a view to cad.  Use this cad to use polylines to make the timber truss and post (entire bent).  Make this into a solid and put it on its own layer.

Isn't this the dumbest thing......  hey P.  you remember 8 years ago sitting in that CA seminar with Mont,  and we figured out if the framing was blocked it would not show in 3D.

If I remember exactly,  it was a POST AND FOOTING under the floor that we would block and transform replicate.....  unfortunately if it was blocked we could not see it.  

Hey  CA,  fix this please after you fix the stairs,  thank you.

EDIT:  It wasn't 8 years ago,  I think it was 9 years ago,  November 2005....... jeez,  have I been struggling with this program for over 9 years already?  No wonder I am fat and bald.

Yep still not showing, there was no post/ footing tool back then so you had to create it block it, and create copies, and I always forget to unblock it.

Bob,

Sorry about the bum steer regarding blocking the framing.

I just learned something about framing and cad blocks.

Probably better just to stick with poly solids.

The model is really coming along - your perseverance is paying off.