Deck Posts

jhoney

So we do not build decks the way Chief builds them automatically.  We don't run intermediate beams and cantilever our decks out.  Our deck posts go all the way out to the corners of the deck.  Is there any way of getting deck posts to go down to the ground without turning off the posts and beams and then manually drawing under the deck.  Surely there has to be a way.  Chief 14 user, thanks in advance for any assitance.

Deck.jpg

I have not fully explored X15 yet but definitely not in X14.  I usually find it easier to let chief do it's thing and then just do the manual edits rather than starting from scratch even if you delete most and then move one and multi copy etc..

• Like 1

To make things simpler for yourself, you can make a cad block of a framing post, beam, and slab footing and then add that to your library. You can preset all the materials, layer settings, labels and even add a text arrow to for the label. Select all, make a cad block and add to your library if you use the same types all the time.

image.thumb.png.2864b2e0cf5c4cdac079867da401caa2.png

image.thumb.png.1914f261b0871485e0530252505f9f3f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

To make things simpler for yourself, you can make a cad block of a framing post, beam, and slab footing and then add that to your library. You can preset all the materials, layer settings, labels and even add a text arrow to for the label. Select all, make a cad block and add to your library if you use the same types all the time.

image.thumb.png.2864b2e0cf5c4cdac079867da401caa2.png

image.thumb.png.1914f261b0871485e0530252505f9f3f.png

Thanks Robert.  Its interesting that Chief uses this method as the default for decks.  You don't see many decks built like Chief default builds them, at least not in our area.  

5 hours ago, DBCooper said:

X15 will let you drop your posts down to the ground.  It won't put any footings under them though.

dropped posts.jpg

That's a step in the right direction anyway.  Silly that this was not an option before.

In my region, almost every deck has a roof over because of heat, so similar to your original point, that means the posts are out at the corners. And in my region, we use only flush beams with hangers. It makes for a stronger, more wind resistant structure and is simpler to finish. Again, a regional thing, but most decks here a covered with a vinyl decking membrane and the perimeters are clad with pre-finished aluminum fascia.

So, I've had those structural components saved to my library for as long as I can remember.