how to be consistent with text size

rnmbj1906

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, SHCanada2 said:

basically, ideally, you want to ensure you know what scale your plans will be in layout before you start dimensioning or adding text.

Once you know that you then pick your default set accordingly. and the way I do that is I change my saved plan views to use the one I want. You have to do it once at the beginning of the project..if what you want does not match the template SPV. I think others just have multiple templates

image.thumb.png.8c6d1aa80a10bb4abdc2af8e2fcd9d88.png

but of course, you have to set these all up. Mine are a bit overkill, but I just spent a few hours one day manually doing them all.

The other way is after the fact the way you are doing it, or changing the text style to what you want and everything that uses that text style will change. 

Can you tell me how you are setting up your scale for arrows?  I can't figure out how to make sure they are the same size when plotting at different scales.  Thanks in advance! 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, Michael_Gia said:

I rest my case

You should think this all through and do a request in the suggestion section for the change or changes needed to achieve this.

Sounds sort of like a no-zoom print preview, which for my laptop screen would give me about a quarter of a 24 x 36 page.  But maybe there is more that you need.

21 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

You should think this all through and do a request in the suggestion section for the change or changes needed to achieve this.

I’ve made a request in the past. I’m not even suggesting anything revolutionary, although judging by the push back from some on this forum, you’d think I was trying to recruit them into my own private cult. 
Every software of this type has a real “print preview”.

Even software like MS Word, Adobe Acrobat and Illustrator have a ctrl or cmd “0” to see a 100% print preview that shows true line weights.

Maybe when Chief sees how so many oppose something as fundamental as a true print preview they figure there’s no use in allocating resources to making such a change in the software?  Of course this assumes Chief actually reads this drivel…

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 7:43 AM, Michael_Gia said:

I’ve made a request in the past. I’m not even suggesting anything revolutionary, although judging by the push back from some on this forum, you’d think I was trying to recruit them into my own private cult.

Lol. I knew exactly what you were talking about, and agree 100% (pun intended).

On 5/29/2023 at 7:43 AM, Michael_Gia said:

Every software of this type has a real “print preview”.

Yep. How hard can it be to give us an "Actual Size" zoom option?? Then Print Preview would be complete, and useable to evaluate how printed text will look at - heaven forbid - ACTUAL SIZE.

Plain old piddly PDF viewer/editor in MacOS:

1059296406_ScreenShot2023-05-31at11_23_38AM.thumb.png.1b7772d5fee71fbf49a4e58da9eaaff8.png

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

I knew exactly what you were talking about,

Thank you for the confirmation!

I thought I was going crazy.

Do you know how often I have to print a plan view to pdf just so I can verify line weights?

What gets me is how many on this forum will just blindly defend Chief on such a crucial omission. 
An omission that could probably be fixed with a half line of code. (Talking out my rear end, here)

Chief’s biggest strength is the speed at which you can go from plan, to 3d model, to construction documents, complete with framing and interior trimming.  No software is more efficient at this than Chief.  
In my opinion, it trips at the finish line for not being able to accurately output to screen what those construction documents will look like. 

What a shame. 

• 1 month later...

To jump in this again, I'm having trouble with some of my fonts printing thicker than what my layout and print preview show in X15.  I got it to print correctly one time for a sheet, but can't seem to get it to do it again.  Have tried different DPIs, reloading my lighter font, exporting as PDF, printing as PDF, printing sheets one by one, color, no color.   

What else can I try or am I missing something?  TIA!

Thanks!  I have my print size at 24x36 and everything is to scale for a permit set so it needs to be that size.

I figured out that Chief will only print one of my fonts per page as a PDF.  (It weirdly prints just fine with a physical printer)

Sheet 1, prints the lighter font and ignores the bolder. 

Sheet 2, prints the bolder font and ignores the lighter.

This also affects my title block, so all of my sheets are looking different.  The print preview always looking perfect.

I've went back again and reloaded my fonts, software up to date, restarted.  Seems like a technical support issue?

Have you tried a different PDF Printer rather than Chief's built in one, to see if its a Chief problem or something else? Over the years there have been a few issues as Chief uses a 3rd party PDF API or used to and sometimes with new releases The API had to be updated.

M.