how to be consistent with text size

rnmbj1906

Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to be more consistent with text from the beginning.  I have watched the videos and it is still confusing to me.  Maybe I have not watched the best video.  My plans have inconsistent text.  The architect I am working with wants them to be 3/32" so I keep setting the scale to 1/4" =1 ft, but then I get confused with the layout vs. the plan view.  When I send my drawings to layout the numbers seem to small on the dimensions.  Then my plot plan also had a variety of sizes.  Is there something I should do before starting a plan on text sizes?

image.thumb.png.596a0c1035daa83ead674f3abbfb3692.pngimage.thumb.png.c4aed5513b9b8ef901125666193b0d0c.pngimage.thumb.png.fd944c6fc7cd325f7377544d044df661.png

This is a long standing issue with Chief. 

First there should be a “view” button even in plan so that we can set our scale and see what our drawings look like at 100%.

That is, what would the plan look like if printed? 
The “line weight” button is pretty useless as you don’t really know at what zoom level you need to scroll to with the middle mouse button to see the printed look of your line weights and character heights. 
I often use a ruler and measure the plan on my monitor using a known measurement in order to approximate real world view.  That’s really sad.

We should have a “scaled view” with a toggle to make text magnification bigger on screen for when we work in scales when, depending at what zoom level we’re at, the text will always be visible. 

The other modification I’d like to see is “printed size” per scale. 
Example, I should just specify, in the text dbx, that I want 1/4” or 3/32” or 1/8” high characters regardless of scale. 
The printed text should be independent of scale.  
Let the software do the conversion whether I print at 1/8 or 1/4 or 1/2 inch scale.

In the meantime you have to do the math and be aware of which scale you will ultimately be printing in, in order to adjust your formula.

So a 1/8” high printed text needs to be set to  “8” character height in order to print at 1/8” and 4” if printing at 1/4”, I think?
I often get it wrong even though the arithmetic is elementary.  Which is why the software should be doing the math. 

Cue, the downvote brigade militia of Chiefers who mostly disagree with me on this even though every other software of this type uses this alternative system for text height and zoom magnification.  It’s so basic and it baffles me how this software was designed this way from the beginning and has gone unnoticed and almost never discussed. 

• Upvote 3

A good place to start defining text size is in context to your most used plan scale setting. For 1/4" scale, define your text. Then, ensure all other scale factors are set accordingly.

Example:

• 1/4" scale: 4.5" = 3/32"
  • 1/8" scale: 9" = 3/32"
  • 1/2" scale: 2.25" = 3/32"
  • 1" scale: 1.125" = 3/32"
  • 2" scale: 0.5625" = 3/32"
  • 3/16" scale: 6" = 3/32"
  • 1:100 scale: 9.375" = 3/32"
  • 1:200 scale: 18.75" = 3/32"

I have all my default sets based on scale factor as opposed to the plan view type. This makes it quick and simple to adjust on the fly when a different scale factor is required for a particular view, like when a building grows to beyond the page boundary, and a smaller scale factor is then necessary.

This is also exceptionally easy to setup in Chief because they provide a guide to calculate this for you.

image.thumb.png.3c959b1404063000d2bc663d38b254dd.png

• Upvote 2

Robert,

I am a bit slow at this why do all of your scales result in 3/32"

Also, in chief there seems to be lots of places to set text size.  Such as in defaults, layers, plan view, layout view.  Where do I start to be consistent then?

19 minutes ago, robdyck said:

his makes it quick and simple to adjust on the fly when a different scale factor is required for a particular view, like when a building grows to beyond the page boundary

hmm how is this being accomplished? if I dimension my building, add text, dimension electrical, and then I need to expand the building so a different scale is required in on layout. wouldn't you have to go into each and change them?

Room label text style, dimension text size, etc.

5 minutes ago, rnmbj1906 said:

I am a bit slow at this why do all of your scales result in 3/32"

If I may answer.  The text size is worked out based on plan scale factor -- 1:48, 1:96, etc.

Let's say you want your printed plan scale to be 1/4" = 1'-0".  The true scale of that is really 1:48, i.e. every 1/4" printed represents 1 foot in real life (There are forty-eight 1/4 inches in 1 foot).

So, the question is how big do I need to draw the text in "real life" CAD size so that on the print sheet it comes in (48 times smaller) at 3/32"?

x = CAD text size

x / 48 = 3/32"

x = 4.5"

Other scales work same.  For example, 1/8" = 1'-0" is 1:96.  So, x = (96)(3/32") = 9" text size.

(Note that 3/32" is approximately 10 point font.  Some jurisdictions request 12 point font, which is 1/8" size text.  You'd just adjust accordingly.)

Jim

• Like 1

I created this PDF to help me get a grip.....back when I started in CAD work.

All drawing is at 1:1 in model space.  For 3/32" text on layout (paperspace) the following applies:

Details @ ½" scale have text in model/plan space at 2.25" tall

Details @ ¾" scale have text in model/plan space at 1.5" tall

Details @ 1" scale have text in model/plan space at 1.125" tall

Plan files @ ¼" scale have text in model/plan space at 4.5" tall

Plan files @ ⅛" scale have text in model/plan space at 9" tall

Once you get your plan template set up, it will automate much of this text sizing for you.

Dan Baumann was the first person I bought training and a template from. 

He thoroughly explains this.

_MEGA CHEAT SHEET.pdf

• Upvote 2

First there should be a “view” button even in plan so that we can set our scale and see what our drawings look like at 100%.

That is, what would the plan look like if printed? 
The “line weight” button is pretty useless as you don’t really know at what zoom level you need to scroll to with the middle mouse button to see the printed look of your line weights and character heights. 
I often use a ruler and measure the plan on my monitor using a known measurement in order to approximate real world view.  That’s really sad.

We should have a “scaled view” with a toggle to make text magnification bigger on screen for when we work in scales when, depending at what zoom level we’re at, the text will always be visible. 

It's called "Print Preview" (alt-f2) and it has been in the program as far back as I can remember.  Assuming that you have set up your drawing sheet info correctly, turning on print preview should show you exactly what your text and lines will look like.

Okay, so all of you have a better grasp on this than I do.  I tried in plan view to adjust my dimensions text.  However, when I send that to layout the text is very small.  I cannot alter this is layout.  What might I be missing in this discussion?

image.thumb.png.140219848b6c2beb471c94d549db4823.png

56 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

It's called "Print Preview" (alt-f2) and it has been in the program as far back as I can remember.

True..... and at least for me there is Print Preview Icon on the RH side Toolbar ....but I may have put it there? long time since I saw a CA default Toolbar.  (actually I see it now in the OP's image above too )

1 hour ago, para-CAD said:

I created this PDF to help me get a grip.....back when I started in CAD work.

Thanks, I will tuck this away just in case.

M.

basically, ideally, you want to ensure you know what scale your plans will be in layout before you start dimensioning or adding text.

Once you know that you then pick your default set accordingly. and the way I do that is I change my saved plan views to use the one I want. You have to do it once at the beginning of the project..if what you want does not match the template SPV. I think others just have multiple templates

image.thumb.png.8c6d1aa80a10bb4abdc2af8e2fcd9d88.png

but of course, you have to set these all up. Mine are a bit overkill, but I just spent a few hours one day manually doing them all.

The other way is after the fact the way you are doing it, or changing the text style to what you want and everything that uses that text style will change. 

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

It's called "Print Preview

You are wrong my good sir. 

Print preview simply shows you the sheet of paper, you will be printing on. 

It doesn’t zoom to the actual size nor is there any way to zoom to the exact real world size, except if you measure with a ruler against your monitor as you scroll to get somewhat close but not ever exactly to the actual paper size. 

For the “print preview” to be useful then it should have a view button with a 100% option, for example. 
Shouldn’t be difficult and it’s insane that we don’t have this. 

I think you are underestimating the value of print preview. 

It doesn't just "show you the sheet of paper" (that's what turning on "drawing sheet" does and maybe you are confusing the two?)  Print preview will actually show you all of your text styles, line styles, and line weights using the proper scale for your drawing sheet. I have found that it always matches what I will print pretty closely.

I have never actually wished for the ability to display it on the screen at 100% so that I could use a ruler to measure if it was correct.  I probably wouldn't trust any measurements made on the screen even if I had this though.  If this is something you want, then you should probably ask Chief for it.

For now, I highly recommend using "print preview", and not just turning on "line weights" or the "drawing sheet" because neither of these will do the same thing (or are very useful in my opinion).

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

For now, I highly recommend using "print preview"

-> File

-> Print

->  Print Preview.

This is print preview unless you know of another one. A magical print preview perhaps?

This does nothing but show you your page at the zoom level you are at, which is an arbitrary zoom level.

Have you ever used adobe acrobat or adobe illustrator or the like?

If so, then you are aware of -> View,  -> Actual Size.  Or simply cntrl or cmd "0" to get the actual print size.

This is what I'm talking about.

• Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

No reason for the snark Michael.  If you don't want to use print preview, then don't.  Personally, I find it very helpful.

No snark intended. I’m sure my tone probably gave off that impression based on your reaction but that wasn’t my intention.  Just my inability to text without sounding snarky, I guess. 

However, you didn’t answer my question. 
Do you know what I’m taking about as far as “actual view”? 

If you do then how is this achieved with print preview in Chief?

I don’t think it is but maybe I’m missing something? 

The whole internet is often snarky.............the solution is to not take anything personally.

It's just pixels configured into shapes conveying words from people (maybe) who you may never meet in person.

We are all each the most important people we know.  So, have a great life and chase what interests you!

Y'all are great.

• Upvote 1

Guys

I read through a lot of this thread, hoping to find my solution.  It is related to this font size issue.  I have my whole drawing plan file complete and I created the layout file. I sent all  my views to layout and everything looks great except the size of the dimensions. In the plan view, all the dimensions and text look great. Nicely proportionate and spaced well. But on the layout, the text all looks great and the dimensions are all quite tiny.  Can hardly see them.  I am in X15 and I don't believe this every happened to me before. I am sure it is just some small setting in defaults  but I cannot find it!  

And para-CAD I appreciate you sharing your cheat sheet with us.  I printed it, and will use it and think of you! 

when this happens to me (because I forgot to change the defaults at the beggining), I either select all the dimensions and change the number size or go into the dimension default for one dimension line, and change the text size (but then the labels are mismatched), this will change for all dimension lines that use that set

image.thumb.png.7dc41fcc4a27cb11aae691cf8e6d1fd7.png

you can also change the dimension default used by the dimension line, but you would have to do for each, or select them all and do it