Is there a way to manually draw a shoe plate w/roof framing tools?

HumbulRenovator

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

So as per a prior question, I am manually drawing a subset of my roof. 

With the roof overdraw feature enabled I got these nice shoe plates that look correct. Is there a way to manually draw these? I feel like I've tried every object type under "Roof Framing Tools" but they all end up as blocking rather than resting on top of the rafters.

And yes I have tried changing the "Role" of the object to "Shoe Plate".  ;)   It seems to have no effect.

I'm using Chief Architect Premier X14.

shoteplate.png

@Chopsaw I'm playing around with this. It seems a bit tricky to do it in just one spot (more as framing than a surface layer), but it seems plausible.

Some of these structural elements may simply be better left as notes or up to interpretation of the framers...

EDIT: Okay I just stumbled onto something w/respect to roof overframing! In some instances you may need two enable overframing on _both_ the "under" _and_ the "over" planes.  When I first tested out the feature I only needed to do it for the "under", but just on a whim I tried doing it on the over and all of a sudden the shoe plate appeared!

In the photo below, both planes 1 & 2 have overframing enabled.

shoeplateappears.png

10 hours ago, HumbulRenovator said:

EDIT: Okay I just stumbled onto something w/respect to roof overframing! In some instances you may need two enable overframing on _both_ the "under" _and_ the "over" planes.  When I first tested out the feature I only needed to do it for the "under", but just on a whim I tried doing it on the over and all of a sudden the shoe plate appeared!

I can't quite tell from the angle of the screen capture but did that give you a shoe plate that is over top of the lower rafters ?

11 hours ago, HumbulRenovator said:

Okay I just stumbled onto something w/respect to roof overframing! In some instances you may need two enable overframing on _both_ the "under" _and_ the "over" planes.  When I first tested out the feature I only needed to do it for the "under", but just on a whim I tried doing it on the over and all of a sudden the shoe plate appeared!

With the roof overframing option, it's designed to be enabled on the upper roof, the lower roof shouldn't have to be marked for overframing as well. The idea is that you're marking that particular roof to "overbuild" on any roofs below it. That would explain why the shoe plate didn't appear till the upper roof enabled roof overframing.

If the upper roof has overframing enabled and the shoe plate still isn't appearing, that usually means that the roof planes aren't joined together completely. Utilizing the Join Roof Edges tool or generating the Roof Intersection Points to get the roof edge into the proper location can help resolve that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HumbulRenovator said:

Yes, I believe so. You've got me worried, is that wrong? :D

I am not exactly sure which is technically correct but It sure would be easier to have the shoe plate over the lower rafters even with new construction.  Then again it is an "over frame" so it could be a situation where the roof sheathing remains in place on a remodel.  Maybe a production framer can weigh in here.