X15 Beta has been released.

Electromen

5 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's my experience and I posted a new thread.. But now it's not behaving as the video is showing so just a momentary glitch? Dunno.

LOL, yes doing something wrong :)
Those are filters you have applied, so you had Bryant as a filter and exhaust fan..You just need to click on Bryant to remove it to change your filtered results

5 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

LOL, yes doing something wrong :)
Those are filters you have applied, so you had Bryant as a filter and exhaust fan..You just need to click on Bryant to remove it to change your filtered results

Thanks Rene, Yeah I figured that out - slowly lol. It did seem to behave differently upon reopening but I think when I get used to the new interface I'm going to like it!!

2 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Just thinking out loud…was this library re-tool even necessary? We’re we all screaming for this?

I would have preferred that Chief had dedicated their engineering towards improving the stair tool or towards improving the “style pallet” tool…or anything that would lead to ease of use and increased productivity. 

Yes. I was, and I like it, and the engineers are still working on it.
filtered results for type is a HUGE improvement.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I would really appreciate it if CA would provide an option to choose the X14 Library system vs the X15 Library system as a Preference.

Yes!!! Provide the old x14 search as the default basic search, and the new x15 search features under an advanced search option

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SNestor said:

was this library re-tool even necessary? We’re we all screaming for this?

Well yes and no- there have been requests in the past to update the library. I'm not sure just how much of this was determined by user requests or input.

I know that the two things I wanted are not here:

1-allow selection of sub folder in user library when creating a new symbol

2- allow saved filters to include/exclude MULTIPLE selection of sub folders in user library.

3  - allow LB, ALDO, and PB to be tabbed when moved to a second screen (if this is possible tell me how?) '

Things lost from 14 I'd like back

A- right click folder and "search folder"

B- right click Duplicate folder

C- keep selected user defined saved filter between close and re-open

New things I'd like to see a bit different than what we have now

• Save Filters off state between open and close
  • Get back some real estate- at the very least move the 4 new icons at top of preview to the bottom where other icons live

I like the grid view toggle.

58 minutes ago, KilianDrafting said:

Yes!!! Provide the old x14 search as the default basic search, and the new x15 search features under an advanced search option

I'm all for that.

• Upvote 1

Here's my thing. The library improvements are fine...not arguing that.

However, I've probably seen a dozen or more posts over the past year or two about improving the deck framing tools. I mean...there is a plethora of improvements this tool needs...but, completely ignored. Instead...we get a library search tool that I wasn't an immediate need...and I don't think many of us have has asked for. 

25 minutes ago, SNestor said:

However, I've probably seen a dozen or more posts over the past year or two about improving the deck framing tools. I mean...there is a plethora of improvements this tool needs...but, completely ignored. Instead...we get a library search tool that I wasn't an immediate need...and I don't think many of us have has asked for. 

I've never seen a Chief upgrade or new release that doesn't follow this same MO. Super frustrating as the good folks at Chief are madly working away on features THEY think will benefit users (or sales) while users request over and over again features that get ignored and just never make it in to the program. I've grown used to it and don't fight it any longer and have decided to just enjoy the new features because that mentality is not going to change any time soon, or least hasn't in the 20 years I've used the program.

It's also why I don't make feature requests as they mostly go ignored and then Chief decides that the library (for example) needs upgrading even though one would be hard pressed to find a single request from a user to do so. Not bitter about it all and just learned to accept any and all of the new features and enjoy the program.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I think nobody watched Rene’s video. 

i just did, and I saw that you can filter by object type, which is handy, but it also implies one knows what the types are. I suppose over time you will as one can look at the "Details" after finding what they want and then make a mental note of it (or save the search).

But the more interesting thing in the video is it didnt appear to work for cabinets for the manuf he chose. I took a look and that is because the most of the items are "cabinet doors" not cabinets in that catalog.

Here are three different types. So one has the "know" the items below are in these categories

image.png.e9f1be1733f5822df512fb5bd99d0681.png

image.png.e2425fd41dde0e2609d00a8d8fb06377.png

image.png.084b5252e689f39057dceed3b0360c4c.png

9 hours ago, MarkMc said:

right click folder and "search folder"

this is done by simply clicking the folder you want to search

right click Duplicate folder

copy paste, but no duplicate..an extra step

1-allow selection of sub folder in user library when creating a new symbol

Simply right click your folder/New and it does this
Just addressing the parts that we have :)

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

As Chief is moving toward a cloud based platform, this was a necessary step...also we are talking about two completely different development departments. A single engineer did the Library redesign, and is completely separate from the framing tools dev team.
The Library moving toward cloud is very important for future cloud based project management which is already in development. Imagine the future where our CAD details are linked to Layout from the Library..THAT will be the day when this makes a HUGE amount of sense. I think its a big step in the right direction. Not directed at you Steve, just to the general group here, the Library is currently being worked on for public release and will be improved again when we see official release.

• Upvote 1

Rene,

For me this Library system has some severe problems.  Most of my Clients want a specific set of Appliances (Mfr Design Series).  My workflow therefor needs to quickly find that set of Appliances without having to go through the new "dropdown" in the Library Search.

I had a very nice set of keystroke sequences set up in my Streamdeck_XL which worked fine in X14, always getting me immediately to the Catalog Folder I wanted.  In X15 those don't work and I'm having a lot of difficulty getting them to work consistently.  Essentially the filter dropdown messes it up.  

I will continue to research a way to get around this but I'm not confident there's a solution.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I will continue to research a way to get around this but I'm not confident there's a solution.

I wouldn't bother just yet, the Library is actively being worked on including that issue.
but FYI Try searching the library from the dashboard ;)

59 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

x 14, right click folder, search folder, start typing, selections show where mouse already is

X15, select folder, move to search window, type, move back down to selections

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

copy paste, but no duplicate..an extra step

extra step my point exactly

Um, not what I'm asking for. Create symbol in plan, add to library- where does it go? somewhere in the user catalog and often with a generic name that needs to be changed, then moved to desired EXISTING folder. I want to select the folder it goes to avoiding clutter. I'd also like to be able to have it use the name I gave it (cabinets for example- not base cabinet, molding xyz not "molding"

Since I dislike the built in web search immensely, I got around that adding a system hotkey to open the web sit.

I spent quite a few hours playing with the new library before reaching an opinion.

X14- right click, search folder, start typing, selections show where the mouse is

X15- select folder, move to search bar, type, move down to selections. 

no duplicate..an extra step

Yes, I use both, but my point is another extra step.

Just addressing the parts that we have

Not what I've asked for. Create a new symbol and add to library. Where does it go- somewhere in the user library. I want to specify and existing folder in the user library to place it. I'd also like to have it use a name from the symbol- not simply molding or base cabinet that has to be renamed.

I dislike the built in web search which can thankfully be turned off. Got around that adding a shortcut in a start menu folder so I have a system wide hot key to take me to the site. 

My first reaction was oh good new library, finally. I spent a few days with it before deciding. It may well work for some folks, I'm not one of them. At least as it is now.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

x 14, right click folder, search folder, start typing, selections show where mouse already is

X15, select folder, move to search window, type, move back down to selections

Not trying to upset you Mark, nothing but respect for you as always. I would still argue(because I do that)  that you would need to first find your folder you want to search from in X14, and would either need to search and mouse to it or you would need to manually scroll and expand folders to get to it before you could search that particular folder.
In X15, just type your search and hit enter, and then type in your folder name, hit down arrow twice and hit enter...no mousing around

40 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Yes, I use both, but my point is another extra step.

I think we might get this back in next version

40 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Not what I've asked for. Create a new symbol and add to library. Where does it go- somewhere in the user library. I want to specify and existing folder in the user library to place it. I'd also like to have it use a name from the symbol- not simply molding or base cabinet that has to be renamed.

I dislike the built in web search which can thankfully be turned off. Got around that adding a shortcut in a start menu folder so I have a system wide hot key to take me to the site. 

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant creating a symbol from the library. Yes +1 on this to add an option to the add to library check mark

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

that you would need to first find your folder you want to search from in X14, and would either need to search and mouse to it or you would need to manually scroll and expand folders to get to it before you could search that particular folder

I suppose that there might be occasions that I need to do that, rarely.

I keep a library folder for each client. There are subfolders for specific types of items AND there are subfolders for every project I have ever worked on for them going back several years. I  work for a limited number of repeat clients. 

When I'm working on a project for Sadie I add spaces to the front of her folder so it ends up at the top of the user library. Most often if I need to search for something on a project for Sadie I'm already at the folder. What's more what I want is very likely in a past project in that folder. No need to click around all over the place.

Another part of my work flow is for each project all defaults, and likely options for same, are in a single folder within the project folder. When changing defaults Chief will open to that folder- no clicking around or searching all over. It's why I want to keep "duplicate folder" instead of just using copy and paste (which I also use) Duplicate allows me to duplicate a subfolder from a client project, drag the dupe up to the current project, rename and perhaps delete what is not needed now. It's just faster, simpler.

12 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Another reason is-

multiple select folders- in say the user library, in X14, right click, search folders, type search term. Results are limited to those folders.

X15- multi select folders, go to search window, type term, result are from entire library. I you have a saved filter to exclude all but the user library then results are from anywhere in the user library but not limited to the specified folders.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:44 AM, MarkMc said:

Another reason is-

multiple select folders- in say the user library, in X14, right click, search folders, type search term. Results are limited to those folders.

X15- multi select folders, go to search window, type term, result are from entire library. I you have a saved filter to exclude all but the user library then results are from anywhere in the user library but not limited to the specified folders.

Send this in, I’ve been sending in everything and have been told that they are actively ramping up dev efforts to improve the library for official release. I personally am excited about possibly getting group select and add search attributes 

Yeah, I find the X15 library in its current form to be cumbersome and not very intuitive at all.  Also very slow, as in waiting for results, compared to using the search function in its previous form.

Maybe it will just take time to learn how to use properly, and I guess I have faith that the direction they are heading with it will eventually result in something better than what we had.

I do agree with the majority of what @MarkMc is laying down regarding the library.

And for (hopefully) near-future releases, I am also wishing for a complete revamping of stair and deck tools, along with a major cleanup of wall intersections and a more precision control of them.  "Nuts and bolts" types of things relating to how things are built in real life.

On 3/2/2023 at 3:36 PM, HumbleChief said:

I've never seen a Chief upgrade or new release that doesn't follow this same MO. Super frustrating as the good folks at Chief are madly working away on features THEY think will benefit users (or sales) while users request over and over again features that get ignored and just never make it in to the program. I've grown used to it and don't fight it any longer and have decided to just enjoy the new features because that mentality is not going to change any time soon, or least hasn't in the 20 years I've used the program.

It's also why I don't make feature requests as they mostly go ignored and then Chief decides that the library (for example) needs upgrading even though one would be hard pressed to find a single request from a user to do so. Not bitter about it all and just learned to accept any and all of the new features and enjoy the program.

Well put it!!! 

Where's the Flush Beam & Dropped Beam option?

24 minutes ago, buzzsaw204 said:

Where's the Flush Beam & Dropped Beam option?

it's already there in beam framing under "with joists" or "under joists", I just wish it were in the edit toolbar instead having to open a DBX and find it.