X15 Beta has been released.

Electromen

I asked chatGPT about X15......it is a bit late

As an AI language model, I don't have access to the most recent updates of Chief Architect X15. However, the latest version of Chief Architect software as of my knowledge cutoff date (September 2021) is Chief Architect X13. So, I can provide you with an overview of the features that were added to the software in the X13 release.

Chief Architect X13 introduced several new features and improvements, including:

1. Live View for floor plan updates: This new feature allows users to see real-time updates to their floor plans as they make changes, which can be useful for assessing the impact of changes on the overall design.
  2. Improved rendering capabilities: Chief Architect X13 includes enhanced rendering capabilities that allow for more realistic and detailed visualizations of designs. This includes the ability to add custom materials and textures, as well as improved lighting and shadow effects.
  3. Advanced cabinet design tools: X13 includes a new cabinet design feature that allows users to create custom cabinet configurations with greater precision and flexibility. This includes the ability to add custom hardware and moldings, as well as advanced placement and alignment tools.
  4. Improved 3D modeling capabilities: X13 includes enhancements to the 3D modeling tools, including new modeling tools, improved terrain modeling, and more flexible object placement.
  5. New catalog content: The latest version of Chief Architect includes a range of new catalog content, including new fixtures, appliances, and furniture options.
  6. Improved workflow and productivity features: X13 also includes several improvements to the software's workflow and productivity features, including better integration with SketchUp, more streamlined editing tools, and faster performance overall.

These are just a few of the many new features and improvements that were introduced in Chief Architect X13. As for X15, I don't have access to any information on what new features it might include as it's a future release.

ChatGPT isn't guaranteed to be a reliable source of information. If you're interested in the details of that, you can watch ChatGPT with Rob Miles - Computerphile.

If you look at the X13 update notes you'll note that there are some discrepancies between what ChatGPT says and the update notes.

38 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

improved terrain modeling

There were no terrain modeling changes in X13. The only changes in the update notes related to terrain is adding automatic labels to terrain features.

42 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

including better integration with SketchUp

This is misleading. There were no changes in X13 intended to improve integration with SketchUp.

Besides those two examples, most of what ChatGPT said is generic enough that it could probably apply to most Chief Architect updates.

That said, ChatGPT is impressive. If the integrity of the resulting information isn't critical, ChatGPT is an amazing tool.

Thanks for comments Perry. Likewise, it's running flawlessly. The new features are among the best upgrades ever. 

I have been tempted to bring both X13 and X14 projects into it, and your vote of confidence sounds like it hasn't posed any concerns. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VHampton said:

Thanks for comments Perry. Likewise, it's running flawlessly. The new features are among the best upgrades ever. 

I have been tempted to bring both X13 and X14 projects into it, and your vote of confidence sounds like it hasn't posed any concerns. 

I have brought foreword a few projects without any problems. there is some adjustment to include some new items, but very easy to do.

Thanks again.

I'm inclined to upgrade several current jobs based on how good things are looking (with a beta release of all things).

In the past, this has never been recommended as good practice, (meaning to bring forth older versions into the new).

...example, the glitchy text resizing issue with X-13 files when opened in X-14

Anyway, It looks like there are few in any down-sides in transitioning current projects.  

X15 is smooth, and when put to the test (with dated plan files), it performs extremely well. 

Thanks much for your observations which confirm my own findings. 

I don't like the new X15 library search filter. It takes up too much of the screen. I like the simple, clean x14 search bar that hides my library folders when producing the results. Anyway to get that back? Even the library toolbar added a title taking up more space.

394492146_X15LibraryScreenshot.thumb.png.1329dbee135806662da66476c67a0157.png                      1971525593_X14LibraryScreenshot.thumb.png.5e305ae61ae62e86e0fac5234dcb388e.png

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, KilianDrafting said:

I don't like the new X15 library search filter. It takes up too much of the screen. I like the simple, clean x14 search bar that hides my library folders when producing the results. Anyway to get that back? Even the library toolbar added a title taking up more space.

394492146_X15LibraryScreenshot.thumb.png.1329dbee135806662da66476c67a0157.png                      1971525593_X14LibraryScreenshot.thumb.png.5e305ae61ae62e86e0fac5234dcb388e.png

I'm not a fan either. It seems to take longer to find simple items and adds a couple features I don't need.

• Upvote 1

I don't like the library browser either...I have turned off the 'filters' (search) portion at the top to give the room back, but that means I have to turn it back on when I want search (which I don't do a lot).  I don't like the preview (filter results) at all...I prefer the 'tile' view, but would like to make the thumbnails bigger...I'm not seeing a way to increase the thumbnail size?

I never want the 'subfolders' to be included when I'm selecting folders...so, I turn it off, but everytime I reopen chief it is back on again...how do we make that stay off!!!

It's also slower in general.

So my issues so far:

1. search (filter) area too large
  2. need ability to control size of thumbnails in filter results (I want them bigger) --> SOLUTION per post below: Ctrl Scroll wheel to make bigger or smaller
  3. need ability for showing subfolders to remember state of last use when closing/reopening the software...I want it to stay off, but turns back on when reopen the software
  4. slow compared to X14

Not a fan...I'll give it more time, but not liking it initially.

Maybe this needs a new thread...?

Edited by BenPalmer
Provide solution to #2
  • Upvote 1

I'm also not a fan of the new Library UI.  It has in fact messed up a lot of my Hotkey Library searches.

I would really appreciate it if CA would provide an option to choose the X14 Library system vs the X15 Library system as a Preference.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BenPalmer said:

need ability to control size of thumbnails in filter results (I want them bigger)

If you hold ctrl while moving your mouse wheel in the 'filter results' window the thumbnails can be resized.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, ProPlan_2011 said:

@HumbleChief - don't have X15 yet, but could it be that the two filters want to return elements that satisfy both filters ?

I think that's exactly right but not used to the new features and not too sharp sometimes as well.. :D

I preferred the original format as well.

But it was easy enough to arrange the settings to the "old" way. 

You just gotta be careful to avoid inadvertently dragging your mouse over each 'box" because they can get shifted out of place easily. 

There's definitely an upside to the new one however.  

For example, when it provides options to downloaded things which might be available at the Digital Locker.

image.thumb.png.0ad7241053e3eedd354b4c733236904b.png

Just thinking out loud…was this library re-tool even necessary? We’re we all screaming for this?

I would have preferred that Chief had dedicated their engineering towards improving the stair tool or towards improving the “style pallet” tool…or anything that would lead to ease of use and increased productivity. 

• Upvote 5