Why We Have So Many Questions On These Forums

Joe_Carrick

i would like to put my 2cents in.

I am a new owner of AC, I have been building for 30 yrs,have just started playing with computers and programs like CA. we also have a kitchen company and when I started the company (30years ago) I bought a design program, fairly basic but as the years went and the program developed I developed with it. my point is that CA drops you straight in the deep end!

a year ago I bought CA ( after finding sketchup on the web and thinking how easy it was to use) after a 2 weeks of frustration it got parked. I have started again now because I got a renewal email that my support is about to run out and there is a new version is out.( you need to give us more money).

should I give them more money?

people who run CA Is there a step by step video of what order to do things, I find that I am building a wall before I have set a block size(land area to put the house on).the program does not seam to go in a logical order. maybe find a newbie someone like myself who has never used cad programs and follow them through their learning process. re address your instructional videos so that they follow the building process and a program set up process. Random 2 minute youtube videos don't work. the longer videos seem to be overviews. if there is videos about what I am talking about please point me to them as I can see the great benefits using CA but just cant get my head around the basics.   all things are basic once you know how to do them. that's why the forum people are great, you should pay them, they are doing your job!

maybe If you could address this problem you would build a much bigger client base.

just a thought,

yes I am frustrated

ps if there is any body in Canberra Australia using this product I will pay you to get me started.

I don't see any reason to do anything about it.  The question itself implies a problem, which I don't feel there is.  My problem is that the person asking the question often gets attacked, criticized and belittled.  Totally unnecessary and unprofessional.

Isn't the purpose of this Q&A forum to ask Questions and get Answers?  If someone doesn't like a question, or feel it is a repeat, or too simple then don't answer it, and don't comment either. I just skip past some posts because I'm either too busy, or don't feel like explaining it (lazy :) or know someone else deals with that aspect more then I do, or whatever.  I don't see any problem with people asking questions even if some would consider it simple or a repeat.  I don't mind linking them to where it was discussed before.  Sometimes new users don't know what terms to search for and therefore don't find it.  Other times they could find it by searching, but so what.  Long time users have the advantage of remembering a topic previously discussed.  New users and less frequent visitors don't have that advantage, so let's share with them and help them.  Perhaps this time around it will be answered or approached differently and benefit all.  Again, don't like it, don't answer or comment, move on.

I guess I don't see the big deal.  We all gotta start somewhere.  If we are going to take control of how and what is asked approach, then there goes the neighborhood.

This is how I feel, Ben has been around for many years with expert advice. When Chieftalk started many years ago there were rock stars on the forum ( like Ben, David J. Potter, Tim O'Donnel, Dean J., Tommy, Dennis G, Louis and so on) just as there are today. Many users get what they need from the program and never look back. I know 3 local guys that still use ver 10 ( as I did until Jan. 2015 ) because it could do everything they need and it still will. I updated due because of new work station and I find the thrill of getting myself "up to speed" on ver 17 FUN. Joe C. is a brilliant mind and I will never be at his level because I'm a builder not computer guru BUT!!!!! I can put on paper ANYTHING that I'm capable of building and that is the beauty of CA. Computer genius ( Joe ) to Gheppto the wood carver ( me ) can use the software with success and HELP FORM THIS FORUM.

Imagelit this is good place to start http://www.chiefarchitect.com/getting-started/

Start with the House Design. The setup seems like a lot of work but after you do it save the plan file as a template file.

The setup is necessary and will save you work & headache down the road.

Your set up will change over time & with different houses but you can save the template file again to update your base template

and save to non-standard houses if you thing your will build that again.

Your template file will mature with you as you learn more tricks & develop your standards.

The template file will save you a ton of man hours in the future. But don't worry about getting everything set in the file at first as your knowledge grows the file will change.

Just the wall types & some basic settings are enough to get your started.

I would share my template file but I use inches :)

You will want to develop your own standards though.

Define the ceiling height for the first floor, you can not define other floors until you create them.

Wall definitions will give you a fit at first but modifying the default walls is a must if you want them to behave as you want them to.

Actually it is easy to draw a box or two and see the 3d views come to life BUT to get what YOU want takes some homework.

That's all the time I have to spare this morning.

BTW I'm a newbie too.  Just a little ahead of you. :)

thanks all for the replys and glen thanks for the offer will take up your offer. 1st I will get Skype and play a bit more with the program so I don't come across as a complete idiot. I have started again on the first page of the manual and plan to click on each button in the order they come up in the manual and see if this helps give me a base.