A question about Good Symbol Design

para-CAD

I'm taking the 2D CAD details from an ICF block vendor and learning to make the blocks for 3D use.  

I followed the 2D details pretty closely and now the 3D symbol has 1404 faces for ONE block.

I think adding the actual interlocking 2" extrusions didn't help and are probably not necessary.....but I was aiming for true realism.

Should I just make the symbol a pair of 16" x 48" x 2 ⅝" rigid foam blocks set at the appropriate distance apart?

The face count would definitely be much less.

So the cool part is I can get an exact block count if I overlay the symbol in a row, following the exterior walls.

Am I causing issues by having a custom wall and also several rows of ICF block symbols existing in the same space?

When I learn how to create a shared symbol, I'll post it here.

CleanShot 2023-02-20 at 15.36.30.png

CleanShot 2023-02-20 at 15.38.28.png

CleanShot 2023-02-20 at 15.38.49.png

2 hours ago, javatom said:

this level of realism for something like this

It looks great PC, but like Java states, it's going to make your file large.  I did this myself on my first ICF, but not as great of detail as yours.. and it started to bog down because of the size.  So my fix was to create a new wall material (used a CMU block as my go by), changed the size to that of a ICF block.  This got me close to a count.  I'd still use the block you created in specific places where you'd have a detail (limited use).  Put in its own layer to so you can turn off on the plan.  

And share if you can.

my $0.02.   

• Upvote 1

I'm a total rookie at the 3D symbol skill.  I've been plans for permit since X7.  I don't really have a need but I have free evenings and this gets me smarter with chief.

How do I export one single item to a sharable file?  I see them all the time, as a recipient, but I've never created one to share.

Any links to an appropriate thread or video would be great.

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

Any links to an appropriate thread or video would be great.

Pretty simple after you have done it once.  Select the symbol and "Add to Library" 1339885870_AddtoLibraryTool.jpg.aec546e23c835fd41e7ca921932b4d6a.jpg Then from the Library right click and "Export Library..."

Save and post the .calibz file.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

It looks great PC, but like Java states, it's going to make your file large.  I did this myself

I tried this as well and concur that the slow down wasn't worth it for the piece count. As a former concrete contractor that used ICF quite a bit, seeing a plan that explained the use of the ICF was far better than the take-off (my ICF supplier has software that does the take-off for free). Right now where I live, it is pretty hard to get a contractor so homeowners are asking to make it 'easy for the concrete guy' - they want their house to be one of the low hanging fruit to pick from. I spend my effort doing a good design including the 1/2" nubs where they are important to the contractor - footing step heights, top plates and doorways (removal of nubs or not). I try to keep tops of walls from being cut where the ICF has the webs (PITA and time consuming for the contractor), being mindful of opening placements (engineering requirements and logistics to place the concrete), utilize special pieces of ICF like tapered tops, height adjusters, different block thickness, etc. In a nutshell, I get a lot better mileage spending the time on the design and a good CAD drawing than on the actual 3D symbol in the plan. I rely on a material for the ICF, membrane and the dimple board in the 3D pics. 3D symbols for the block, corners and Tee wall pieces just slowed my computer down too much and the degree of realism wasn't required. 

Just my 2 cents as well...

Your 3D block does rock though and you are well on your way to creating great symbols.

519574077_ICFInfo.thumb.png.ec9c49f623e70c84b481b25957e7b18f.png637087904_ICF3DPic.thumb.png.c9a157b40d37863395f4238035e839ce.png

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, para-CAD said:

So I'm assuming I should have a totally blank plan with only one item in the library.......ahhhhh.

No your library is independent of any particular plan file.  Just select an individual item and right click, or a folder will work as well.  Actually the same process for you  entire User Library...   Just what is selected.

If you want to export in a different format that is when you need a clean plan file.  .DAE or .3DS  etc.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, para-CAD said:

So I'm assuming I should have a totally blank plan with only one item in the library.......ahhhhh. making sense now.

No.  The Export Library tool is only for the selected item.  It simply moves the selected item(s) to an external calibz. file so that you can share it.

• Upvote 1