Water shed?

winterdd

Rob, I think you have decide on looking ugly from where? From a 3D Chief Full Perspective Overview, or Goggle Maps? Or from the ground where everyone will actually see or not see the roof 'cricket'? A simple horizontal roof plane 'cricket' will solve the water problem and should be virtually impossible to see from the ground.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Rob, I think you have decide on looking ugly from where? From a 3D Chief Full Perspective Overview, or Goggle Maps? Or from the ground where everyone will actually see or not see the roof 'cricket'? A simple horizontal roof plane 'cricket' will solve the water problem and should be virtually impossible to see from the ground.

That cricket would have to be above that ridge to be functional, correct? That is what I was saying would look ugly.

27 minutes ago, Bob-Roraback said:

Hi Rob, can you extend the attic gable wall and roof out to meet that ridge?

I tried that, and because of the overhang it wouldn't work. However, I may not be seeing what someone else see's that is a solution. The client and I both know so I am having him review it with his builder to see if we should change something or if it can be built on site and not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Bob-Roraback said:

Hi Rob, can you extend the attic gable wall and roof out to meet that ridge?

I stand corrected, I see what you meant. Good solution Bob.......now how they will frame that attic wall into the ridge is a new question but it looks way better.

image.thumb.png.c28c970c9a69b6761b9072891916c4dd.png

4 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Guys, this is unique and I am wondering how this can be rectified and not look ugly. Can the builder construct some sort of roof cricket here for shedding water?

image.thumb.png.e35d827a0a828ed6570bca6a1aa85558.pngimage.thumb.png.b24744e72d836f5f2e1fac4bad533c30.png

Can you just bring the large gable all the way and have a nested double gable on the end?

ECE801CD-C1CC-43BA-9AF1-2316E4B60950.thumb.jpeg.d97ba121c9e0f614ab3fc968ec8ff79e.jpeg

In my world yes, pulling the upper structure over to the "ridge" of the lower section is the proper solution.

14 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

now how they will frame that attic wall into the ridge is a new question

The attic wall wouldn't be framed into the ridge. The way I would do that, using trusses, is the upper roof would be built into the lower roof with a girder truss, then the "shed" portion would be built against the gable wall of the upper section.

No offense but the cricket idea, IMO is ill-conceived no matter how it's implemented.

4 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

No offense but the cricket idea, IMO is ill-conceived no matter how it's implemented.

I hate them unless the home looks nice and it flows together well. Several of the homes in my neighborhood have them and they look nice from the ground level.