How do I Create this look on my steps?

DH7777

I am really struggling to make this work and need some help. The first pic is what I want...the second pic is what I get. Is there a command that I can use in the step dialog box that will automatically make my steps do what I am seeking here? What I have done has lots of individual components I had to create and its getting out of hand. There has to be a simplified way to do this. It would be nice if there was a breakline option in the working plan view so that I could just stretch the portion of the steps behind the wall over a bit to make that section of steps disappear, but there is not. The breakline in the interior Staircase spec. Dialog box is only to show a breakline in final construction drawings ( that's not the type of breakline I'm looking for). I want to actually BREAK the steps and stretch just the section I need out of sight. I got a gut feeling I'm wasting my time and there is a proper way to do all this. 

steps.jpg

step issue.jpg

46 minutes ago, DH7777 said:

It would be nice if there was a breakline option in the working plan view so that I could just stretch the portion of the steps behind the wall over a bit to make that section of steps disappear

That's exactly what you do. Select the stairs, hit the Add Break tool 183605252_ScreenShot2023-02-14at11_38_25AM.png.57c53f270412dc1b099bb744794cd8e7.png then the Add Complete Break tool 963754171_ScreenShot2023-02-14at11_38_37AM.png.34af42a054ef9b631567cf64e48b3fb6.png and break the staircase, move one section over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

That's exactly what you do. Select the stairs, hit the Add Break tool 183605252_ScreenShot2023-02-14at11_38_25AM.png.57c53f270412dc1b099bb744794cd8e7.png then the Add Complete Break tool 963754171_ScreenShot2023-02-14at11_38_37AM.png.34af42a054ef9b631567cf64e48b3fb6.png and break the staircase, move one section over.

When I am in working plan view and select the stairs , there is no add break tool at the bottom of my screen like I typically have. I use Add break tool a lot. Now, there is a a different looking add breakline tool symbol that looks like steps but this does nothing but add a visual breakline but does not allow me to adjust the steps.  I have never seen the "Add Complete" Break tool that is a new one for me. What you are saying sounds so simple but again when I select the stairs, where I usually see my break tool that looks like the symbol you show, its not there. Can you show me what your screen looks like when you select the steps please? 

11 minutes ago, DH7777 said:

When I am in working plan view and select the stairs , there is no add break tool at the bottom of my screen like I typically have. I use Add break tool a lot. Now, there is a a different looking add breakline tool symbol that looks like steps but this does nothing but add a visual breakline but does not allow me to adjust the steps.  I have never seen the "Add Complete" Break tool that is a new one for me. What you are saying sounds so simple but again when I select the stairs, where I usually see my break tool that looks like the symbol you show, its not there. Can you show me what your screen looks like when you select the steps please? 

I just saw you're using X11. If I recall correctly, the break tool was added to stairs at some point recently. It may not be available in your version. In that case I believe we used to create two separate stairs but my memory is really old. :lol:

Someone with a better memory can maybe explain how to do it in X11...

In X11?  It's a PITA, but doable.  I think all you have to do is create two different but unconnected stairs and then turn off the automatic heights.  You then have to manually set them to the right heights and line them up to get what you want.  It's been a while though.

In X14, you just add the complete break and pull the side of the lower stair out.

As for the base molding, I think you can convert the room molding into a molding polyline and manually edit it to stop where you want.  You can't trim the end of the base molding at an angle though.

24 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

In X11?  It's a PITA, but doable.  I think all you have to do is create two different but unconnected stairs and then turn off the automatic heights.  You then have to manually set them to the right heights and line them up to get what you want.  It's been a while though.

In X14, you just add the complete break and pull the side of the lower stair out.

As for the base molding, I think you can convert the room molding into a molding polyline and manually edit it to stop where you want.  You can't trim the end of the base molding at an angle though.

Okay thanks for the update

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 10:50 AM, DH7777 said:

I am really struggling to make this work and need some help. 

I might be too late for this, came across this while searching for a resolution I'm having with stair moulding.  I think this video would be helpful to you.  I'm not certain which version of CA they are demonstrating with in the video, but it's easy to understand.

Stair Wall Options: Partial Railing, Wall under Stairs, Stairwell