Grouping Cabinets

Allen43

Go to solution Solved by SusanC,

I have been trying to reduce the time I spend on a design, and I realized that there are a few groups of cabinets and panels that I use a lot. I would like to save these cabinets as a group and place them all at once. However, I still need them to be individual cabinets for schedule and modularity purposes. It seems like this is out of Chief's current reach. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't possible before adding it to the suggestions forum.

Oh before I forget an example of when I would want this. Almost every kitchen I design has a cabinet above a fridge supported by two full length panels on either side. I would like to place both panels and the cabinet at the same time. And even the fridge if possible. 

• Solution

Just what Mark said - make an architectural block of the cabinets you want to combine and you will be able to place them as one unit.

• Select the cabinets with labels turned on.
  • Block the cabinets by using the "architectural block" tool.
  • Add the architectural block to the User Library using the "add to library" tool. 
  • Schedule will report the cabinets as individual.
  • If you need to move the cabinets individually in the future, just "unblock" them.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 3.31.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 3.30.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 3.30.24 PM.png

Just to add to what Susan said...

You can actually make an architectural block act like a single object by checking "treat as one object" in the arch block dialog.  You can then choose how you want it to go into the schedule either as a block, or as a cabinet, or even as something else.

If you want to make changes to one cabinet in the block, when you first click you will select the block but then you can use the tab key to select the individual cabinet.  You can then open the dialog to make changes to that cabinet.  If you need to rearrange them, then exploding the block is the thing to do.

• Upvote 1

As DB mentioned...

"Treat as on object"  will allow you to place the block into the schedule as one unit.  This is helpful when you are doing a custom cabinet order of inset cabinetry and you've combined several cabinets and want that combination to show up in your schedule as one object with one label.