auto update from plan view to layout

tinyhouseguy

You might need to be more specific.  You would generally want things to update automatically so nothing gets missed.  However there are still a few options if that does not work for you.

Cad detail from view or for sections and elevations there is the option to have plot line views that are manually updated.  Images rather than live camera views are also sometimes handy.

• Upvote 2

Or is the problem that you are turning things on/off in your layers and seeing this affect your views on the layout?  The solution is to make sure your layout views are using a unique layer set so that when you make changes it won't affect all of your views.

• Upvote 1

I am a bit confused.

Are you building 3 different foundation models all in the same plan file?  As in one is a slab and another is a crawl space. 

Or are you trying to show 3 different levels of the same foundation model?  As in you have a stepped foundation and you want to show the foundation for each part separately.

Maybe a picture or posting your plan would help.

• Upvote 1

It really helps if you explain your situation because it is quite likely that others will face the same or a similar situation.  You can not turn off Auto Update.

If you are using the same plan file to generate three different versions of the same foundation then you need to use a method already mentioned.

If you want to use three different plan files or build three structures in different locations on the same plan then it might work depending on your goal.

Just remember that there are thousands of hours of experience and advice given freely here so be respectful.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

It sounds like you are sending a specific plan view to the layout and even though you are changing the plan and resending, you are not switching the plan view, and thus, its updating whats there. Unlink the plan view(s) or simply delete them if you aren't really using them.

Or...you want 3 different foundation options for the same floor plan, easy enough but you do need separate plan files for that. When I do these for spec builders I have the MASTER PLAN FILE_CRAWL SPACE, then save as and name it ..._BASEMENT, then ..._SLAB and send those separate plans to the one single layout.

• Upvote 2

Joey Martin, your second statement is exactly what I want to do. Thank you very much for your help and solution.

and thanks to everyone else for weighing in and trying to help. But out of curiosity do you know how to turn off the auto update.

the girl at CA said it can be done,but she didn't know how,but she said to check with you guys, because I had x12. If I can turn the auto update off then I don't have to have 3 separate files.

thanks,

Tim

• Downvote 2

Plan views sent to layout are always "live" so they will auto update any time you make any changes to the model.

There are two easy ways to create a "static" view that will not update:

1.  Send the plan view to layout as an "image".  This will just be a picture or snapshot of the plan so it will not change.

2. Use the "cad detail from view" tool to convert the plan view into a cad detail.  You can then send the cad detail to your layout.  It won't ever change unless you manually change it.

Chopsaw mentioned these in the second post but I don't think he explained them very well.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, tinyhouseguy said:

do you know how to turn off the auto update.

You have a saved plan view connected to those foundation plan(s) and are re-using the SVP and layer set associated with it. Read a bit about SAVED PLAN VIEWS and you will see that, most likely you are not using them...at least not correctly...and thus you should probably just delete that saved plan view and then use different plan files for those foundation options.

• Like 1

ok,thank you chop saw... ok I've looked over all the advice. So I decide to send the foundation plan to the layout as a picture, but I see there is not any options when I click on "send to layout". what is the best method to to get that foundation view to a picture?

Tim

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, tinyhouseguy said:

ok,thank you chop saw... ok I've looked over all the advice. So I decide to send the foundation plan to the layout as a picture, but I see there is not any options when I click on "send to layout". what is the best method to to get that foundation view to a picture?

When you send to layout there is an option "Current Screen As Image" .   However if it is a plan view it will be primarily cad so I think a Cad Detail From View would work much better, take less memory, and leave you the option of adding to the view or doing some minor edits if necessary and the detail will remain live.  Use the Images for camera views that you don't want to update.

When all is final, no more edits, no more changes, CAD detail from view is the best method.

But then with everything final and ready for ink, you won't be getting auto updates to live views, either.

Best practice for you might be to wait until everything's settled before beginning the layout work.

51 minutes ago, tinyhouseguy said:

.tried the Cad Detail from view, but now I can't enlarge it.

any suggestions.

First of all do the foundation last.  You can edit a cad detail.  It will just be tedious and you will not have any of the automation available in plan view.

If you anticipate a lot of revisions then the three plan file approach would make the most sense.

CAD detail from view is produced at 1:1 scale, just like the 3D model.  It is sent to layout at your specified scale just as for plan views, elevations and sections, CAD details, and schedules.

Consider some one on one training for producing con docs, or watch training videos.

8 hours ago, tinyhouseguy said:

ok,, the picture thing didn't work out, I had to fix some things change up, lost some images...tried the Cad Detail from view, but now I can't enlarge it.

any suggestions.  

7 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

the three plan file approach would make the most sense.

What you are wanting to do to keep from using three plan files which is easy to do with a save as is not working because you are working against the way chief was designed to be most effective/efficient at which is using live views for details/plan views.  Consider the very experienced users on this threads advice to just use three plan files for the foundation view at least.