Cedreo vs Chief Architect

CarsonBDesign

Having only taken Cedreo for a quick spin, I can't tell you for certain, but I can say with about 99% certainty that at best it offers about 5% of the capabilities you get with Chief.  Its not even in the same league.  The program seems to have been designed with the goal of quickly designing and visualizing spaces and little else.  No CAD tools, no wall, floor, ceiling, or roof assembly layers, no framing, no parametric object components, no schedules or materials lists, not much of anything aside from basic 3D surfaces. As a tool for Construction Documents it seems almost useless.  Its like comparing the calculator app to an Excel spreadsheet.  If however all you need is the ability to quickly visualize a space or draw a floor layout...still no.  I'd go with one of the Home Designer products. 

this is comparing apples to oranges.

Autocad is basically a 2d program whereas CA is 3D based, abetter comparison of CA would be with Revit or Revit LT.

I am currently running CA and Revit LT to compare, depending on your requirements CA would appear to be quicker in most areas, however Revit Lt allows more control.

LT does not have the auto functions of CA.

I was trained on Autocad when I was in school at Boston Architectural College and when I graduated in 2010, the design firm I joined chose Chief Architect over Autocad and we have never questioned that decision.  Autocad has it's strengths, but Chief Architect was a much better choice for us for so many reasons - ease of use, 3d renderings, schedules, help videos, several options for training, and an incredible team behind the software.  Good luck!  

5 hours ago, CarsonBDesign said:

Obviously I'm new here-thanks for your clear insights.  What about Autocad vs Chief?  It's a fairly big investment thus the questions.

Maybe if you could tell us what exactly are you wanting to do with a cad program, we might be able to help you.  Are you doing only interiors? 3D modeling?  Or full construction documents?  Are you working solo?  Or do you need group capabilities?  Do you plan on doing one of a kind custom homes?  Or is your focus going to be remodeling?

These are just a few questions that came to mind that might help you in your search for a software solution.

From the pictures on their website, it looks like they can only do "presentation" floorplan drawings.  I didn't see any pictures showing actual construction docs.  Also, for $100 a month, it seems pretty lame that the "professional" version will only let you make 10 full HD renderings per month.  Even the "enterprise" version only lets you make 20 per user per month.  I can't understand why they would have any limits, especially such low ones.  BTW, Chief will let you make as many as you want at whatever resolution you want (even much higher than 1920x1080)..

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 9:59 AM, DeLayDesign said:

It sounds odd.  I don't know much about it, and haven't heard of it before today; but they don't even have the ability to import DWG files so in my opinion that's trash.

Lol !

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/1/2024 at 10:47 AM, stevenyhof said:

The best is always to go to the software forum and spend a few minutes there. 
I did that with Softplan - https://softplan.com/forum/ - Helped me to like Chief better.

I couldn't find a forum for Cedreo - that says a lot

This is true but it depends on the type of user that you are. If you are a more in the line of construction and so much in the 3D presentation you may opt for SP. CA is much better for 3D presentation from what I gather from other professional users on this forum.

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 5:47 PM, stevenyhof said:

The best is always to go to the software forum and spend a few minutes there. 
I did that with Softplan - https://softplan.com/forum/ - Helped me to like Chief better.

I couldn't find a forum for Cedreo - that says a lot

Hello Steven, I am curious how spending "a few minutes" on the softplan forum made you like chief better?  What caught your attention?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

What caught your attention?  Thanks!

It was a number of things I do not really recall, but a number of the questions people were asking and the answers that were given. I could tell in a few minutes that Chief was ahead of the game with this type of relationship modeling.

3 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

It was a number of things I do not really recall, but a number of the questions people were asking and the answers that were given. I could tell in a few minutes that Chief was ahead of the game with this type of relationship modeling.

So you never looked at the free trial before investing?  Interesting.

What does “with this type of relationship modeling” mean?

Thank you for your input.

50 minutes ago, parkwest said:

What does “with this type of relationship modeling” mean?

Unlike AutoCAD and others, Chiefs walls, roofs, etc. all work together within a relationship with each object/element to seam things together. Softplan and Cedreo use this same type of relational modeling. Some just do it better than others. 

To answer your "interesting" query, I have been designing with CAD since the late 90's. It does not take me long to know if a piece of software can do what I want or not. Even when Chief shows us things like auto trusses, I step out of the box for only a moment (meaning, do something a bit more complex) and Chief falls apart. It is these types of things that I would test or spend a few minutes in forums to find out what others are running into to not even bother with a trial. I know of Architects that do such complex work that Chief needs to turn into a manual solid tool (like AutoCAD) just to pull it off. I love Chief and it's automation, but I have also spent time building tools, solids, materials that help me where Chief's automation fails. So far I have been drawing about 120 plans a year with Chief on my own, and few are very simple like they were just 10 years ago when every builder and realtor were building spec homes. 

You've been here for almost 10 years. I see you have Softplan on your list of tools you use. What is your thoughts on Softplan vs Chief? 

On 4/11/2024 at 4:45 PM, stevenyhof said:

Unlike AutoCAD and others, Chiefs walls, roofs, etc. all work together within a relationship with each object/element to seam things together. Softplan and Cedreo use this same type of relational modeling. Some just do it better than others. 

To answer your "interesting" query, I have been designing with CAD since the late 90's. It does not take me long to know if a piece of software can do what I want or not. Even when Chief shows us things like auto trusses, I step out of the box for only a moment (meaning, do something a bit more complex) and Chief falls apart. It is these types of things that I would test or spend a few minutes in forums to find out what others are running into to not even bother with a trial. I know of Architects that do such complex work that Chief needs to turn into a manual solid tool (like AutoCAD) just to pull it off. I love Chief and it's automation, but I have also spent time building tools, solids, materials that help me where Chief's automation fails. So far I have been drawing about 120 plans a year with Chief on my own, and few are very simple like they were just 10 years ago when every builder and realtor were building spec homes. 

You've been here for almost 10 years. I see you have Softplan on your list of tools you use. What is your thoughts on Softplan vs Chief? 

Shoot!  I thought you were going to give dating advice for when you are dating models.  ;-)

Anyway, I have to run or else I will be late for my appointment...

On 4/11/2024 at 3:45 PM, stevenyhof said:

but I have also spent time building tools, solids, materials that help me where Chief's automation fails

you should share these..as a community we come up with some pretty cool solutions but we have to know the problem :)
I always love a good challenge

Here are a few...

This was more of a process in testing to find ways to draw cathedral ceiling beams with the correct wood grain...

Chief does not have good garage doors so I made up a few... 

And this one, another thread about simple rendering one why with some backgrounds I made from Twinmotions, and ended with some pretty nice looking renderings done completely with Chief. 

Here are some backdrops I made for daily working within Chief.

Stem walls using alternative methods...

This discussion offers a good starting point for comparing Chief Architect with Cedreo. The comments by Alaskan_Son clearly point out Chief Architect's superiority in terms of offering comprehensive features for professional design and construction documentation.

While Cedreo might be suitable for basic visualizations, for users who need to create detailed construction drawings, accurate material lists, and adhere to building codes, Chief Architect seems to be the clear choice. 

However, the discussion doesn't mention learning curves for each software. For someone completely new to 3D design software, is Chief Architect's powerful feature set too daunting to start with, or do they offer resources to help beginners get up to speed relatively quickly?