winders not snapping to 90 deg

SHCanada2

my non love affair with stairs continues

I am following:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00884/creating-winder-stairs.html

to try and get 3 winders.

It works on the OOTB template(except it reduces to 2), but not my template.

When I curve the winder section it refuses to snap to be vertical

Tried changing the width to match,I dont see anything else obvious. 

closest it will snap:

image.png.2d663e34988502ac20f01194727d8615.png

I'm also trying to get three winders and not 2

nvm,

I had tread depth locked.

But to get the correct number of winders, one needs to lock "number of treads" if trying to get the three winders on the "landing". "Automatic Treads" does not seem to work

This little tidbit seems to be missing from the doc link above ...unless there is some additional setting that alos controls it

I always seem to have more problems with the winders made out of curved stair sections.  They will sometimes do very strange things and it is very difficult to get what I want.  I will usually just use landings to build each winder step because then I have complete control over the geometry.  The problem with this method is trying to get the railings the way I want them.  Of course, they don't always work out well with the curved stair winders either.

3 hours ago, DBCooper said:

I will usually just use landings to build each winder step because then I have complete control over the geometry

if i remember correctly the problem with this is then you are constantly adjusting the elevations. i.e. I want to see how many stairs I can get away with on the bottom or the top. If they are all part of one flight, i can just go change the stair section. If I have a separate landing, I have to move them up and down?

not to mention when you move the stairs or resize them the landing resizes differently (which is true for both cases I believe)

I have an extreme dislike for stairs, always seems to be an exercise in frustration