AutoCad guy needs more that my export provides

JavaMan

I have tried 4 times to export a dwg plan to a AutoCad architect. He is the engineer for my friend's plan. The guy told me he has problems with the appliances, bath items, etc. with the import. In each case, I did download the dwg back into my Chief to see what he is seeing (image on right).

Is there something I'm missing? It's one layer. I'm thinking just do the important stuff like walls and measurements. I have exploded the items as he mentioned but that didn't work. Could the guy delete and add his own features like a toilet or a washer?

Any guildance will be helpful.

Reid Shot I.png

Reid Shot II.png

Good questions, Gene.

The architect has my whole Chief layout- everything one would send to the County except for the truss plan (truss plant provides) and the all important engineer stamp. We could care less if the cabinet has a drawer or the washer is front loaded. My co-worker builds custom garages and horse barns but he has an internal software program to the supplier of materials. 

cliff

So you have designed the building for a friend who needs a set of sealed plans for permitting, and this third party is an autocad-using architect?  Who thinks he needs to draw the whole thing over using his ACAD?  And only then can he do whatever review is needed?

Why can't he print your layout pages and mark them up with needed changes, whatever he sees fit to do, and you then revise, he prints again and seals, and your friend is good to go?  It's what my guy does.

Per Gene's point every engineer is different. For the ones who draw and specify the steel and the mechanicals, CAD files are a must.

However this unfolds...

The end user should be receiving plans without any "fill". (This why the Chief cabinets and stairs are being imported as solid dark). 

Just check the setting to turn fill off upon export. It'll be a big help to them.  

Some folks like wall layers off as well. That can be done in your layer set settings. 

They can also adjust layers on their end as well (sorry for stating the obvious). 

That sure makes sense to me. I'm still thinking maybe I followed the export instructions incorrectly. All I know about AutoCad, is within Chief.

The engineer will still get the large piece of the pie. Besides, my time is free to my co-worker so he can get catch-up. 

cliff

I produce condocs in Autocad, but do preliminal plans in Chief. Have been since '94. The process for me is to export to dwg. The layers have to be adjusted (color, etc.) easy enough.

The symbols etc. import as blocks that need to be exploded and cleaned up if used if needed. A bit tedious if needed. The engineers or Architects that I use would never do that. If you don't have a dwg program, I don't think there is a way to send a cleaned up Chief file. 

VHampton- I will try to unfill the various cabs, etc. and the wall layers. Then I'll email and see if the dwg is workable.

Jim- Would I need to explode the blocks on my end or would the end user w/ CAD? I get your point on the clean file. Our thought is to provide the engineer/Architect with all the important data in a Chief full layout and the exported dwg to cut down on his valuable time. It seems better than some Micky Mouse stuff I've worked on.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:56 PM, JavaMan said:

I have tried 4 times to export a dwg plan to a AutoCad architect

I often export the 3D model from Chief and send that to the architect/engineer or whoever. 

Export as SKP or Collada or 3DS or all of the above and let them work off the 3D model. 

It’s a very simple procedure to get any of those formats into AutoCad. 

This way they get exactly what you designed, with nothing lost in the translation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

VHampton- I will try to unfill the various cabs, etc. and the wall layers. Then I'll email and see if the dwg is workable.

Every AutoCAD user that I work with has zero issues. Engineers, Surveyors and interior designers. Chief .dwg exports always come in clean, and they can turn the stuff off which doesn't pertain to their work. ie... cabinets and CAD blocks.  

Only minor complaints have been with wall fill, and wall hatching (angle hatch is the default pattern for plywood in our software). That can be altered in your plan file by changing the wall setting, or by turning off pattern lines before export.

As a general rule, Chief walls are kept clean and without patterns (on my end) This avoids headaches on theirs. 

Regarding export calibration... feet and inches is typical. Surveyors prefer feet. No bad joke intended. 

Agree w/ Michael's method as well. It sends the entire story... and they can easily extract what they need.

Snip20230128_11.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Michael,

I will look at those options and try that as well. I didn't know you can send 3D looks as well. The video only showed a floor plan.

VHampton, I will prepare a special export plan with all the different wall types and no paterns as you said. I guess I should export one single layer plus another export w/ all layers and let them choose? In your diagram, unmark the filled areas because of the appliances, etc.? Should I unmark pattern lines as well?

Thank much for the help. I'm sure other users will have this issue sometime.

You're welcome. 

Yes - unmark fill when exporting. This way, cabinets, stairs, and fixtures won't arrive as solid black. 

If floors and decks have tile patterns as the designated room fill, that's when patterns can be turned off.

Not sure if that includes hatch in the wall though.

For good measure open up the exterior wall type and make sure that "no pattern" is designated for the plywood.

This will ensure a clean wall without the default pink hatches every 12 inches on center. 

• Like 1

20+ years and this is the first time I needed this dwg feature. Some counties in Virginia are really getting crazy, especially the heavy populated areas.

Going with these suggestions (tricks) tonight. Thanks very much for the education.

ok... so patterns and fill turned off on Export results in a clean stripped down wall. 

Perfect for the receiving end. That's typically how AutoCAD users like them.

The fill and hatches can make wall adjusting a bit of a pain in case they need to move anything. 

Snip20230131_16.png

Snip20230131_18.png

• Upvote 1

Yes Sir, it worked for the current floor as shown. Thanks for your help & follow up.

Next the engineer asked,"Can you put all the files on a single page in a single CAD file and send that back?" So, I sent all layers with the same settings you instructed. Now he says it's too much.

See attched: 1st floor clean plan. The other two with all layers.

image.png

image.png

image.png

He may be trying to capture appliance symbols for his own use... Over here in Australia, AutoCAD users can be pirates and will steal any symbol they can.

To get a better idea what you are exporting do a web search for "dwg viewer"

Autodesk "DWG TrueView"is free and will give a true picture of what your AutoCAD consultant is seeing.

Importing dwg to Chief Architect has historically had a few glitches with bad dwg data - usually symbols. It's not a good test to see what he may be seeing.

TrueView is a very handy tool. You can what your consultant is sending you and compre that to how Chief imports it.

• Upvote 1