Need Rafter Tail Shape at Gable End

KayNordby

Problem...

• Exposed rafters display the custom rafter profile perfectly, but the gable end fasica defaults to a basic board shape.

This is the work around I have been using, but it takes too long...

• Generate roof framing with custom rafter tail
  • Copy a rafter with decorative rafter tail to the gable fascia location.
  • Adjust the height of the gable fascia board if needed 

Is there an automated way?

I found this Legacy discussion on rafter tails - Dec 2013, but as far as I can understand, it gives no automated way.
If there really IS no automated way, I could certainly use this feature.

This is an example of the look I need to create - Rafter tails with matching shape gable fascia
d0f115660f29612f_1319-w660-h439-b0-p0--c

Problem...

• Exposed rafters display the custom rafter profile perfectly, but the gable end fasica defaults to a basic board shape.

This is the work around I have been using, but it takes too long...

• Generate roof framing with custom rafter tail
  • Copy a rafter with decorative rafter tail to the gable fascia location.
  • Adjust the height of the gable fascia board if needed 

Is there an automated way?

I found this Legacy discussion on rafter tails - Dec 2013, but as far as I can understand, it gives no automated way.

If there really IS no automated way, I could certainly use this feature.

This is an example of the look I need to create - Rafter tails with matching shape gable fascia

d0f115660f29612f_1319-w660-h439-b0-p0--c

Turn off fascias.  Turn on eave sub fascia.  Change the GABLE SUB FASCIA TO 24",  change EAVE SUB FASCIA TO 1",  see what you get.   I rarely use custom rafter tails.  I am sure somebody who uses custom rafter tails  more often has a much better solution.

Hey, that is a very interesting work around!  Still not as automated as I had hoped.  I would like a rafter tail tic box or menu selection that would add a rafter tail to the gable end fascia AND change all other settings needed to use rafter tails.  How about a pull-down menu option when you click on a roof plane in camera view! X6 has spoiled me.  I want it all!  :-)

Could this be a new problem in X6? Sorry I can only use my X5 right now, but I can't find a way to NOT have the gable fascia have the rafter tail design.

I followed your suggestions and got it to work once, then tried it again and the gable end fascia went missing.  Tried it again and the rafter tail was there but the rest of the gable end fasica was gone.  CLEARLY... I do not have the knack, or the CA gremlins are messing with me. 

Just tried it in X6. Worked as expected. Just basically un-check all the boxes and make the gable sub-fascia the same depth as the rafters and voila.

Can't explain the gremlins. I am working in a plan with only 4 walls and a gable roof to test so maybe on a more complicated plan it gets more ..uhh.. complicated.

Just tried it in X6. Worked as expected. Just basically un-check all the boxes and make the gable sub-fascia the same depth as the rafters and voila.

Can't explain the gremlins. I am working in a plan with only 4 walls and a gable roof to test so maybe on a more complicated plan it gets more ..uhh.. complicated.

Same here.  Just started over with a new test house.  Still something is wonka.   

Thanks anyway for the tips guys!.  Knowing that it CAN be done is a big help. 

I will keep trying to figure out where I zigged instead of zagged. 

Probably would not hurt me to review the X6 videos. :)

post-188-0-77245400-1395083752_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-98107800-1395083773_thumb.jpg

Here is an image with my framing settings. No Soffit checked in the options tab. I am not sure how much more automatic that could have been unless you phoned it in?

This is nuts.  I started over, this time with a fresh CA template.  Using your settings I got the rafter tails on the gable fascia to work, but now the frieze board I added does not show.  Sheese! 

Gremlins have migrated to my noggin. :blink:

post-188-0-51732200-1395092179_thumb.jpg