Porch slab

capitaldesigns

4 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

I am working on a patio where I am using 6x6 posts on an 18"x18" stone base. 6" of the stone base is off the slab.

Depends on your particular situation , it can be as simple as making the wall type defining the Porch the same width as the columns ie 18" in your case.....  this is because Chief ALWAYS centers "Newel Post" on the Wall.   make it 20" wide if you don't want the columns right at the edge etc.

M.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Depends on your particular situation , it can be as simple as making the wall type defining the Porch the same width as the columns ie 18" in your case.....  this is because Chief ALWAYS centers "Newel Post" on the Wall.

Good tip. This will also align the beam above, centered on the wall / column. If the beam is the same width as the 6x6 column it will all align nicely

19 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

make it 20" wide if you don't want the columns right at the edge etc.

M.

In that case I add a 1-1/2" concrete layer to both the exterior and interior layers of the wall definition, creates the typical lip automatically.

Depending on your situation, changing the wall thickness can cause other complications like how your tie in will look. I will usually do the wall thickness same as the beam size.

For the bigger columns you may need to do a lower slab to build your foundation and an upper 4" slab if you want the 1 1/2" overhang. You have a lot more control this way and its fast and easy.

4.thumb.png.dbcb2ea093262c949a351aee181e00c5.png