Stair Rise and Run Information on Plans

ValleyGuy

As there currently aren't any labels for the stair Rise and Run in the stair specifications, how are you conveying this information in your plans?  Where do you label (plan, elevation, both...) and how do you label (text, macro, dimensions...) ?

I use a text block in an elevation, but was wondering if someone had a better / different way?

My Stair macros are embedded in a Text Box and stored in the Library.

When I place that in a Plan and connect to a Stair with an arrow the macros execute and display the Stair and Landings information.

This works for Straight, "L" & "U" shaped Stairs.

image.thumb.png.af03d6d434b96a97105cfa89ba3dbacd.png

It won't connect to a Stair in Section so I manually label and annotate there.  Hoefully we'll get the ability to connect in Sections in a future version.

• Upvote 1

Shayne,

In plan view you can attach test to the stairs and use a macro like

%num_treads+1% Risers

Run %tread_depth%"

Rise %riser_height.round(2)%"

The number of treads is plus one to count risers which is the way most architectural drawings will specify a flight of stairs.

Unfortunately, you can't do this in a section or elevation view with macros.

image.thumb.png.c2c1fb80a68d73162da094605ea7e0a5.png

image.thumb.png.88f88168a266da1b28bc1c6d2b24d8ad.png

• Upvote 1

If you want to see those in section you can do it by attaching a variable to the macro that identifies which stair you are talking about like this:

Here I use the global variable $s1 to identify which stair set I am referring to, $s2 for the next stair set and so on.

%$s1riser_total=num_treads+1% Risers

Run %$s1run=tread_depth%"

Rise %$s1rise=riser_height.round(2)%"

Then in a text box next to the stairs in elevation you put

%$1riser_total% Risers

Run %$s1run%"

Rise %$s1rise%"

A bit of a kludge but it works.

• Upvote 2

This is great stuff.... however......I can't seem to get out of the starting blocks. Something must be messed up with my defaults as I can't seem to get anything but Rich Text when I use the leader line. Text only brings up a text box of which I can't attach a line between the text box and the stairs...... any suggestions of what I have to do to get the text with leader line to bring up the text box containing the macro option????

6 minutes ago, ValleyGuy said:

Text only brings up a text box of which I can't attach a line between the text box and the stairs.

image.thumb.png.d790c2d079c7ab7b2f9bfe70dcdcae22.pngimage.thumb.png.c15fdc0bef17156eeb40b0e8aa282775.png

Use the text box and the new leader tool on the text box to drag a leader to attach to your stairs or any other item you need to do so for.

• Upvote 1

Solver,

Yes I did, and thank you for taking the time to make it.  I can't seem to attach a leader line though. I can only get the properties of the room. Every time I get a snap indicator on the stairs and make a leader line, I don't get attached to the stairs for some reason. 

I couldn't barely see anything in your video unless you zoomed right in on it so it was more listening than seeing.

1) A new OOB template does let me connect to stairs and a towel that I also tested it on. I must have a glitch in my template plan.Is that something I should send to CA or should I just copy my exported stuff (walls, defaults, layer sets,....) to a new plan template??

2) Thanks for the tip ..... l didn't click " Watch on YouTube" ... it's clear as can be. Thanks again, I'll go and rewatch it again. 

Hey guys, thanks for all the help here. Wow, what started out as a simple question and answer turned into roadside assistance for a broken vehicle. I appreciate all of you taking some time on your Saturday to help me out. The macros work great!