Dimension rounding

winterdd

Have any of you guys ever had a request from the builder to round dimensions to the nearest 1/2", 1" etc just so there are not any crazy fraction dimensions? Sometimes it is inevitable to get those 16th's dims. I can see how they wouldn't want to pull a tape measure to those. Rounding really cleans up the drawing but can it be a bad thing? I mean any design software allows this option.

31 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Have any of you guys ever had a request from the builder to round dimensions to the nearest 1/2", 1" etc just so there are not any crazy fraction dimensions? Sometimes it is inevitable to get those 16th's dims. I can see how they wouldn't want to pull a tape measure to those. Rounding really cleans up the drawing but can it be a bad thing? I mean any design software allows this option.

I keep everything to 1" or 1/2" except in rare cases where 1/4" is sometimes necessary, for example dimensioning a 6x6 deck post. 

As a rule, esp with framing, I would never put 16ths on a plan. That just seems like a good way to catch a nail in your tire. Or other "paybacks." :P

8 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I keep everything to 1" or 1/2" except in rare cases where 1/4" is sometimes necessary, for example dimensioning a 6x6 deck post. 

As a rule, esp with framing, I would never put 16ths on a plan. That just seems like a good way to catch a nail in your tire. Or other "paybacks." :P

I hear ya, lol. As long as the foundation and main floor dims match it seems fine to me. I do what I am asked to make it easier in the field.

6 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I hear ya, lol. As long as the foundation and main floor dims match it seems fine to me. I do what I am asked to make it easier in the field.

I especially strive to make foundations as basic as possible. 10'-0" here, 16'6" there. No half-inches. Obviously it's not always possible to do round feet, but I do as often as I can and it keeps the foundation contractor happy.

Can you imagine having to work with panels that are 30" 36" etc and getting plans with a 16'-4-7/16" foundation dim?? 

2 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Rounding really cleans up the drawing but can it be a bad thing?

I would definitely draw to 1/2 or 1" increments using the snap grid rather that dimension rounding, as setting dimension rounding to 1/2" can at times give your an error as large as 1/2" so then your contractor is not simply out by 1/16" but a full 1/2" which might be as significant as the windows not fitting into the rough openings when they arrive.

Having built in both metric and imperial markets, when I first started working in imperial I just did conversions as a decimal.... ie I'd put in 180mm which became 7.08 inches or on plan 7 1/16th inches....

That lasted all of 2 days on site with my framers looking at me weird......lol....

• Upvote 1