Texas Engineer

DOPSuppliers

I have been asked by a friend of mine to design his house in Texas and I am in Florida.  I designed a remodel on his house here a couple years ago.  I have a couple engineers here that work with me, but need someone to sign and seal my plans in Texas.  I am more than willing to share share my files as I am doing the design and drawing out the working drawings.  Please respond if you or anyone you know that might be willing to help me out in this way, for a fee of course.

Thanks,

If it's in the Hill Country, chances are it's gonna get a reinforced slab foundation done sometimes as post-tensioned, and those things need engineering.  It's easy to find someone in San Antonio to do that, but some of the firms will charge your client for doing a complete re-draw which IMHO is stealing.

Those heavily reinforced slabs are a feature of building in the Houston area, also.  My nephew is a TX P.E., civil, in Houston.  Are you doing a Houston area job?  I can ask him who he knows that would review and seal your plans, but all that structure stuff is gonna have to be done by you.

Much of the big roof residential in TX gets stickframed with rafters supported mid-span off wall lines below in attic with leaning struts, so you may have to get into that, which in Chief, will be troublesome to do in 3D.  See the image below.

Maybe you ought to just give your friend a "lite" version of a plan, don't bother with structural, focus on shape, flow, windows, doors, exterior finish and trim, roofscapes, cabinetry, really everything BUT structure, and charge him accordingly, then he can job it locally for whatever is needed for permitting and contracting.

In other words, a complete "design," but no con docs.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 224352.jpg

Thank you Gene for your feedback. 

My client is in the Auston area up on a hill overlooking a lake.  There is a home there now, but it is coming down and the slab will be expanded a little bit.  I believe we are going to stick-frame 2x6 walls and trusses.  It will not be anything crazy, just a nice comfortable place to keep his wife happy and she doesn't like it here in Florida, but he is not leaving.  So they will play between the two homes.  If I can't find someone to sign off, he might go for your suggested option.

Thanks,