Crown issue

DH7777

These are windows in my kitchen. I am making an exact model of my house as practice. I have run into a problem here. I need to place crown molding on my window interior header trim to match the cabinet crown. I drew  the crown I am wanting to use in Plan view and raised it off the floor to close to the position I need (I will fine tune position later) and I see it in camera view upside down (see attached named CROWN ISSUE) I want to make an object out of a piece of crown that I can resize as I want and place anywhere I want but I don't know if this can be down. Any suggestion would be great. With step by step instructions a huge applause! Thanks.

image_123986672 (4).JPG

image_6487327 (5).JPG

CROWN ISSUE.jpg

You can draw the profile of the crown and flat stock then add it to your library.

Then select this profile in the "Lintel" tab in the window dialog box.

Check the "Wrap" box for i t to return and fiddle with the "Extend" setting to make it look right.

This way you can easily reuse it at other windows without manually creating it from molding polylines.

• Upvote 1

Play with the checkbox in the dialog for molding that selects whether it extrudes "inside" or "outside" the polyline.

Also experiment with adding more moldings to the polyline.  You can stack up as many moldings you want, and position them relative to the polyline, to get the effect you want.

24 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

You can draw the profile of the crown and flat stock then add it to your library.

Check the "Wrap" box for i t to return and fiddle with the "Extend" setting to make it look right.

This way you can easily reuse it at other windows without manually creating it from molding polylines.

Okay sounds like a plan Thanks.

2 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Play with the checkbox in the dialog for molding that selects whether it extrudes "inside" or "outside" the polyline.

Also experiment with adding more moldings to the polyline.  You can stack up as many moldings you want, and position them relative to the polyline, to get the effect you want.

copy that! :)

56 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

Ok I did this but unfortunately it does not work. I need my lintel on the window to be a flat profile 5.5 inches tall like the picture and Then around the top of that lintel, I want to ADD the crown profile of my choosing. Adding the crown as my profile for my lintel replaces my 5.5 inch flat lintel, I don't want that... So I need to figure out how to make an actual symbol I guess with the crown I want I want  so I can put on whatever I want anywhere. OR if I can just figure out how to flip the profile crown I have drawn to stand upright. I keep opening it in its dialog box and there is nothing to flip it.

Okay this is what I did and it worked perfectly! I created a soffit. Then I sized it to the thickness to match the existing window lintel. then added the crown I wanted from my library to said soffit. A few stretches here and there and placing it off the floor and against the wall over the window like I need and its done!

FIXED CROWN ISSUE.jpg

Use of a lintel as your window head trim might be the better way.  In this view you can see my casing sized at 5/8 x 3-1/4" (out-of-box Chief default) and the lintel that is specified in the window dialog as having zero extension and no wrap at end.  Thus the lintel end is flush with the casing edge.

I had to create a molding for the lintel because Chief does not have a way to specify thickness in the dialog.  Wanting a lintel thicker than the casing, I drew a box 7/8 w x 3.25 h and saved it as a molding and called it Lintel .875x3.25.

With this done to my block-mulled window triplet, I did a molding polyline in plan view, added one crownmold profile, wrapped the ends, placed it, then edited as needed to get it looking right.

Modeling your own house is a great way to learn Chief.  It teaches you how to measure the as-built structure, and if you doodle all the features like what you are doing in this window group, it teaches you about how Chief works.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 105249.jpg

You'll notice in my initial post that I mentioned you need to draw the profile of both the crown and the flat stock.

No need to make molding polylines and try to get them aligned with your windows. With this method you can move or resize the windows and have the lintel adjust automatically.

Capture.jpg

23 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

You'll notice in my initial post that I mentioned you need to draw the profile of both the crown and the flat stock.

No need to make molding polylines and try to get them aligned with your windows. With this method you can move or resize the windows and have the lintel adjust automatically.

Capture.jpg

Yes I have used this method before. Accept I do not understand what you mean by I need to draw both the crown and flat stock profiles. with polylines.  When I go into the lintel dialog box I can only choose one profile for my lintel. So when I chose the crown I wanted It had no flat stock below when playing around with the lintel. That said,  I believe you are saying I am supposed to manually draw both profiles and so using the molding polyline tool and place them on the window as needed. I will look into this. I always get frustrated dealing with molding polylines. i need to practice more with it... Thanks for you advice!

23 hours ago, CDH7777 said:

I believe you are saying I am supposed to manually draw both profiles

Yes ....just draw it on the floor in plan view for example at true size , you only want the outline , ie a cross section through the header , not two pieces, as Kevin shows above, you then save the "outline" to your library , Chief should name it molding on doing so , I suggest you immediately give it a more descriptive name and place it into a new Folder called Moldings (for example) to aid organization going forward.

*as a general rule , you always drawn Chief moldings facing to the right as Chief assumes the left side is the back.

image.thumb.png.b097a2760f4395af53c7431548089d63.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am a nitpicker when it comes to these window trim details, and have no reentered the room to say this:

The single-molding thing for a crowned lintel window head works fine if you are OK with having to do the measure/math to get your end-wraps of the crown to look as expected.  Doing it without entering an "extend amount" in the dialog results in a crowned lintel that looks like this when the lintel is same thickness as side casing:

282735383_Screenshot2023-01-21154930.thumb.jpg.e00e263dec81f64a610268675790f323.jpg

And like this when the lintel is thicker than the side casings:

1969112767_Screenshot2023-01-21155151.thumb.jpg.3acee9afd9f4efdbceead90529392054.jpg

In either case, the "extend amount" needs to be set to the distance the crown projects from the face of the lintel piece, to correct the appearance.  Here is a pic showing an arrangement with a thick lintel and a profiled crown, done with no extend for the lintel, and a wrap for the crown.

1678062344_Screenshot2023-01-19105249.thumb.jpg.c17bf99a8cef9ef3f93a02f5b6c79a34.jpg

This one shown above was done using a lintel in the window spec dialog, and a 2D molding for the crown.  I was lazy and did not trim the crown returns back and that is why the returns look buried in the wall rather than seeing the cut-end outline.

I don't think Chief works "wrap" right when it comes to a flat frieze (lintel) head trim.  Here is a view of a trim specified with the thicker (it's 1/8" thicker) lintel than the casing thickness, and with wrap specified and no extension.  It's flush to the casing and I believe it should be 1/8" proud.

1295836363_Screenshot2023-01-21154616.thumb.jpg.4c32595a10e1cdf713b63e84eb19b298.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 1:49 PM, solver said:

Look at the profile Keven is showing. It includes the flat and the molding. You could also draw them separately, align them, then add to the library as a Stacked Molding.

What Kevin is suggesting is exactly what I show above. 

And you only need to draw moldings if a match is not in the library.

Okay thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 10:22 AM, solver said:

Are you trying to get better at using Chief?

There are multiple ways of doing this, using a soffit, a molding polyline, or adding the proper molding to the window so it is automatic when the window is placed. 

I grabbed a molding I already had and applied it to this mulled window as a lintel.

Chief has videos I'm sure on this, and I have some on moldings in general on my YouTube channel as well.

ct1.png

Thanks!