How To Create A Sloped Wall

GregCormier

Thanks for your answer Rich. To me still not doable in Chief without trouble. Any of those kinds of jobs coming my way, I'll take a pass.

Ditto.............

Doing the un-doable (or at least giving

it a shot) is what I'm all about.

Along with thinking the unthinkable.  B)

I'm sure you guys have been down these

roads before so humor me as I beat my

head against some of these barriers.

Here is what I came up with by putting

openings into the wall before making it

a symbol. You've gotta look on the bright

side. If you don't open the door past 90°

it will shut automatically. :rolleyes:

post-126-0-01500400-1423290737_thumb.png

Greg,

Here's a pic showing how to do this. post-47-0-02304200-1423319689_thumb.jpg I've included an inverted triangle shaped molding (attached library item) 12" tall, 1" wide There are 3 Molding Polylines (drawn in Plan):

The two on the outside have a just one molding profile set at 96" tall and 8" deep

The center one has 3 moldings: Triangle 36" tall, 3" deep Square 12" tall, 7" deep, vertical offset 84" Triangle 12" tall, 1" deep, vertical offset 84", horizontal offset 7"

Using this method, you can customize your sloped walls. There are other ways to do this using custom symbols made with solids but that's a fairly advanced technique. I've also attached the Plan that I used to do this so you can study it. It's not your plan but it should give you a real good idea of how to do it.

Sloped Wall Molding.zip

Molding - Inverted Triangle.calibz

There is a lot of ways as said. An other alternative to do this is creating the wall with its windows and doors and converted to a door symbol tilted the angle you want. By putting that door back in plan works good. It needs only adjusting the comers by using p solid triangle At corners.

post-2517-0-29337600-1423329334_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

EDITED 04.July 2023:

Hi there.

This is MY CONTRIBUTION to this topic and this community.

To summarize, if somebody wants a sloped wall, a wall under angle, following solutions have been suggested:

a) use polyline solid or box primitive in a dimensions of a wall and then rotate it to a desired angle.

CONS: no way of putting door and window opening, or very complicated with boolean operands

b) create wall with openings and convert it to a symbol, then rotate under angle.

CONS: once converted to a symbol, no way to change the openings and doors and windows would also be at a unnatural angle.

c) using three triangular molding profiles of different sizes, to create room molding from top to bottom

Joe wrote: https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/3780-how-to-create-a-sloped-wall/?do=findComment&comment=32958

CONS: moldings must be exactly sized to cover wall space below and above doors and windows.

Any door or window movement or resizing, the molding won't cover the space above or below correctly.

d) use single roof plane and add roof opening to imitate doors and windows, edit roof construction to imitate wall structure, set roof pitch (angle) to imitate slope

CONS: no real doors and windows possible

Additional CONS: With each mentioned option no room definition can be made, no automatic wall connection can be made, alignment etc.

Additional info from my side, by using Room Molding Polyline, free space at the door and window positions is made ONLY if the opening already exists.

If openings are added or moved or resized after the molding is set, free space will NOT be recreated.

In this sense, Room Moldings are superior vs Room Molding Polyline.

1270052513_WallAngleMolding1_resized.thumb.jpg.3a89186f0c40d7193f626e55bd79577a.jpg

TADA !  My solution e.g. workaround:

e) create a cross section template of a desired wall with an slope. Template shall have height of your wall, let's say 2600mm and segment it to let's say 8 segments.

I made it as EMF file and imported it to a PLAN, so I can precisely use it to draw 8 different molding profiles over it.

Use those molding profiles as room moldings and stack them from top to bottom.

Freely add doors, windows, resize, move them, etc.

CONS: it requires extra time for creating molding segments, and that for each wall angle and height separately, but once moldings are created, openings can be created freely.

The interior of the wall remains vertical and can not follow the angle of the exterior.

Alternatively, interior moldings can be added toward the room center, but as said the vertical core part of the wall remains.

1123677828_WallAngleMolding2additional_resized.thumb.jpg.67d8d598f0d341469335855c15f7b104.jpg

105254812_WallAngleMolding3vector_resized.thumb.jpg.4211c5c327f45ce02c90f8d1898df279.jpg

2141951910_WallAngleMolding4pbr_resized.thumb.jpg.01f1c7d86c9765d80e65529ca29a9823.jpg

f) create transparent wall and add parallelogram molding shape stacked from top to bottom with let's say 8 segments.

Freely add doors, windows, resize, move them, etc., but play around with casing, sill, sash and frame.

CONS: Some fiddling around floor structure and thickness, and openings location not to close the corners is required.

1079387213_WallAngleMolding5parellelogramwall.thumb.jpg.a8d263e5b827dfe4826fae99c9437a56.jpg

All in all, I think this are phenomenal solutions ;)

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Bane

Practice plans are also attached.

wall angle molding.plan wall angle molding version B.plan

My suggestion is that you could all ask for this feature in the suggestions part of the forum, if you do not want to do a complicated work around. Chief Architect has to grow somehow for the future so it might as well be “a slanted walls feature” and make your work much easier ? I have never needed to use slanted walls but commercial buildings use that allot these days for curtain walls. I think that Chief Architect may never have a slanted wall feature included in it because it is strictly for the low rise residential field. I hope I am wrong here ?

This would be IMO a very difficult programming task.  Chief's walls are very special objects which define the vertical limits of rooms.

If a sloped window wall is what's wanted I would simply create a symbol using a post to ceiling glass panel railing, defined as a geometric shape.  I would set a z stretch plane at + 12".

Then I would place it in the plan and rotate about the y axis to the angle desired.  I would make the wall where I place this as a single layer transparent wall. 

Perhaps if Chief were to create a "Window Wall" tool with the ability to specify a slope it could work - but it would need to also define the room as other than contained simply in a vertical wall.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This would be IMO a very difficult programming task.  Chief's walls are very special objects which define the vertical limits of rooms.

If a sloped window wall is what's wanted I would simply create a symbol using a post to ceiling glass panel railing, defined as a geometric shape.  I would set a z stretch plane at + 12".

Then I would place it in the plan and rotate about the y axis to the angle desired.  I would make the wall where I place this as a single layer transparent wall. 

Perhaps if Chief were to create a "Window Wall" tool with the ability to specify a slope it could work - but it would need to also define the room as other than contained simply in a vertical wall.

That’s a good idea for a “Window Wall” tool that can slope. I am not a code writer and I haven’t carried out any lengthy experiments in CA like many of you have been able to do.

I am wondering if a modified roof tool could be made fit for a slanting wall application ? After all you can place skylights and dormers into roof planes which are of course openings. It’s certainly would not be impossible for software engineers to accomplish.

• 4 weeks later...