California CRC - attached garage door?

I don't believe the self closing hardware is required but any of the fire resistive requirements must still be met.  ie:

• 20 minute rated
  • solid core wood minimum 1-3/8" thick
  • hollow core metal.

Self-Closing is still a good idea.

Absolutely, it is required,

From the 2022 CRC

Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors. Doors shall be self latching and equipped with a self-closing or automatic closing device.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:24 PM, Gawdzira said:

But, I am unclear if the exception with fire sprinklers would allow a non 1-3/8" thick door. Like a shaker style panel door?

Alan, my interpretation is with a sprinklered residence and garage, there is no requirement addressing the door leaf construction.  Only the hardware -- the door must self-close and -latch.

You could contact the building official for a verdict.

That said, I would be inclined to call out a 20 minute or solid core door that is self closing and latching even if the house is sprinklered.  It's not much extra money and you can always exceed the code requirement especially when it comes to life safety.

Jim

There's probably 100's of thousands of existing homes built before 1980 in California that don't have automatic closers on doors between the garage and the house.  Many of them are hinged to swing into the house rather than out - which should be the preferred direction.  That's not mandatory but it is good design practice.