Curved wall with curved sloping top. How would you approach?

VisualDandD

Hey all, it is not often that I am stumped, but I figured I would throw this out there.    Have a curved entry wing wall which is on a perfect radius.   The top of the wall slopes in opposing curves.

I made it with a curved wall with radius wall tool (with the curved wall being brick on outer layers).   I then broke the wall in the 3d view and manually created the top slope along the radius by eye.

Wondering if there is a better way for something like this.   Was trying to think how I might use molding poly lines, and solids, but I just could not see a clear path to doing it.

I have it to where it is close to being acceptable, but I could still do some tweaking on it.   Wondering if there is an easier way?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I played with this a little more.

Was going to see if I could 'sculpt' one from Solids.

First making a arc wall and then subtracting '3d solid holes out of it. 

I laid out wall in cad and planned on sculpting from various elev angles to correct for parallax.   I took the overall length of the arc and plotted it and then was going to use it to trace my 'cut out's.

Chief got nasty when I tried to use arcs on the 3d subtraction boxes.  Running a 3080ti and it was bogging me down and I had to Ctrl-alt-del a few times.

Then I started simple 3d shapes and as I went along, chief started to not recognize the polyline subtractions.   Way too buggy for me to go further with this method.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Michael

You are crazy (in a good way)   That works to get the 3d shape.  I can draw 2d cad to represent the walls.    I actually got it pretty close fudging it by eye with a wall and wall break tool. (which kinda shocked me)  I may use this for my renderings since I want the cap to show nicer.  (I did not draw cap in example below, just testing method.

I have never fallen down the cabinet rabbit hole ;)   Seeing what you have done with them is insane.  It seems that every time I cant figure out a good way to do something, it is solved with a cabinet! 

Thanks man!

2.jpg

1.jpg

6 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

@Alaskan_Son   Has anyone submitted a request to make a CAD tool that will accomplish what this is doing?

Be nice to have deform any solid along a line for example.   Draw solid flat and then be able to manipulate said solid along a line.

I can see this as being very useful.

Not sure.  You should definitely always send in requests for things you need though.  The more request the get, the higher up the priority list it will move. 

Yes Twin Motion.

I worked on pool design and tightening up details today.  I did not put a ton of time on the rendering end.   But I make most of my own textures and normal maps.  I often start with a chief texture and make normal maps for those.  I tend to experiment a little.....but I dont consider rendering 'my thing'.   Just something I do to convey ideas on higher end projects.

Lots of details on this.   Most all done in Chief

147129432_image1_003.thumb.jpg.75469e8b0b0776a2d52a3f78b7bee044.jpg605738289_image1_002.thumb.jpg.790661f17210fe6c5131be91ec165de2.jpg

18 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Justin, these look great but might I suggest a more "seamless" brick texture. I attached one that I made for a build I did a few years ago that had light tan brick/dark bronze trim - very similar to your project.

brick seamless.jpg

Thank you!   I will load it and try it out!!!!   Brick is always the toughest to get good looking ones for sure.

Thank you again!

1 hour ago, VisualDandD said:

Thank you!   I will load it and try it out!!!!   Brick is always the toughest to get good looking ones for sure.

Thank you again!

You're welcome! Hope it helps. Actually, on my project the homeowner found a house they wanted to style after which was in a new subdivision of upscale market homes. It still had a for sale sign on the lot and no sod, so I walked around taking pictures of the brick with my phone, and the new homeowner came out wondering what I was doing! We had a good laugh.

I also have some pretty nice seamless shingles that I use. I have onyx black which looks like your design, but I just change the color in a paint program as needed... if you're interested...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

You're welcome! Hope it helps. Actually, on my project the homeowner found a house they wanted to style after which was in a new subdivision of upscale market homes. It still had a for sale sign on the lot and no sod, so I walked around taking pictures of the brick with my phone, and the new homeowner came out wondering what I was doing! We had a good laugh.

I also have some pretty nice seamless shingles that I use. I have onyx black which looks like your design, but I just change the color in a paint program as needed... if you're interested...

That is super kind.  I keep saying that I dont 'render', but I find myself dabbling in it from time to time.   I do try to search out better textures and have saved a few.   Most often, I will use chief's and then make normal maps to bring into TM and have them look better.

Of all the things bricks and shingles are the 2 toughest for sure!  

15 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

That is super kind.  I keep saying that I dont 'render', but I find myself dabbling in it from time to time.   I do try to search out better textures and have saved a few.   Most often, I will use chief's and then make normal maps to bring into TM and have them look better.

Of all the things bricks and shingles are the 2 toughest for sure!  

Onyx black seamless shingles

seamless_shingles_onyx.thumb.jpg.0466b7e7b794436c349c4ec4410c7323.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think you're full of $#!+

Ha.   I really dont put a lot of time in it, but I do remember the days when it was MUCH harder.

These are old ones from Chief 9 (NOT X9 but 9).   The old PovRay version.

This was back when chief did not even apply freize and you had to manually drain in all the trim.   I of course photochopped the landscape in, but pretty amazing what you would do with that old stuff, but generating that pic (without the landscape) would take 4 to 5 hours....

But my first renderings ever were for my first home that I designed in chief.   They are attached as BMP's  This was 6.0.   I bought chief because I wanted to design my own home.  As you can see from the design, the ability to do curves were a big thing that sold me on it.  I had tried some other 'comp usa' programs and could not get what I wanted.

I grabbed a real estate vid from when the house sold a few years back.  We lived there for a decade.   Those are not my furnishings, but the person who lived there after us.   But if it were not for Chief, I dont think I could have pulled it off.  It was the first home I designed.

https://youtu.be/MuIPjkDnuvQ

1864934298_RENDERLANDSCAPE2.thumb.jpg.4487222cca999476e7d19330b76fd4b6.jpg

1293924911_rendering2reality1.thumb.jpg.5475eee8f38a9b158d9809f45eb9ef5b.jpg

image.thumb.png.536b4835c8ccf2110d58232c85b2474c.png

image.thumb.png.3f7446870bf3b07995180c566993be3c.png