Convert a JPEG file to a file that can be imported into C.A.

JamieW_Campbell

Hello, I have been using C.A. for about a year, so I am still fairly new. If there is a light fixture on a website that I want to import into C.A. but they do NOT offer a CAD file, is there a software that can help me convert the JPEG file on the website to a file that can be imported into C.A? I suppose I would need to know what software could convert the JPEG to a DWG or SKP file that I can import. Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Sorry I don't think technology has come quite that far yet.  Have you checked the 3D Warehouse to see if someone has taken the time to model it ?

If the manufacture can't provide a 3D model in some format then you will need to find one similar or model it from scratch.

Perhaps post the image and manufacturer and model info and someone may be able to help.

6 hours ago, JamieW_Campbell said:

s there a software that can help me convert the JPEG file on the website to a file that can be imported into C.A? 

Sorry, no. A popular 3D modeling software to create symbols is called Sketch Up and they have a website where Sketch Up users share free, downloadable, importable, symbols into Chief, check it out like "Chopsaw" suggested.

DJP

Your best bet is to find the model or something that looks close to it, on Sketchup's 3D warehouse. You can then import that into CA as a symbol.

There are other sites where people post free models, but that's your easiest route. Alternatively, you could model the fixture itself. I'm never done this in CA but I think others do. Sketchup is good at this sort of thing, or 3DS Max.