Roof Nightmare

KnotSquare

This explanation is brief as I made a quick video to better point out the issues attached below.

I have had this close a few times, especially once I discovered "Roofs, Baseline Polylines". Using those I fixed a lot of uses, but then it seems that when I change a wall's Roof Options from Hip Wall to Full Gable Wall or visa-versa nothing happens. Easy case in point is the Full Gable Wall just to the right of the stairs on Level 1. I have it set to Hip Wall, but it needs to be a Hip Wall. Changing it had no effect and I am trying to get this at least back to where I had it before I turn off Auto Build Roofs.

As mentioned in the video, what I did find while turning on and off layers is the Roofs, Overhang Area layer. I have not attempted to use this yet as I was hoping to hear back from someone that might put me on the correct path prior to messing things up further with newly discovered layers.

Thank you,

Mark

Fisher Concept 9 (Auto) Stripped.zip

A couple of tips to get you going.

Once you are using Roof Baseline Polylines, the roof information specified in the walls is ignored.

You can change the roof directive information for a Roof Baseline by opening it's dbx and make make any changes.

Why are you using Roof Baseline Polylines?

Maybe Roof Baseline Polylines are not the correct way to go with that house. 

Eric,

I have read about them, but still find it confusing and do not know if adding them is what keeps me from changing a roof height by opening a floor how. See the Patio off the Sitting Room (Master Bedroom). It is pretty easy to spot that problem as the outdoor space does have a roof over it in the dialogue box only.

I have been considering a SaveAs and deleting all the Roof, Baseline Polylines. Your thoughts. I have other designs with complex roofs that I have never used this feature on.

It is 144 MB. I will upload it to my YouTube channel and send a link as soon as it is complete.

Thank you.

As mentioned above, whenever you have a roof baseline polyline, it will override the roof settings in the wall; changing the settings of the roof have to be done through the edge of the baseline polyline. In general, you want to use this when the shape of the roof doesn't exclusively follow the shape of your shell, otherwise controlling your roof through your walls is the recommended way to work.

• Upvote 1

There are many issues with your plan...I'd say the roof baseline polyline is the least of the problems. 

Check your room definitions. Walls defined as "roof cuts wall at bottom"...a number are incorrect. I cannot tell from the plan how you want the roof to ultimately work.

You should probably start a new plan, define your defaults, (walls/floors/roofs primarily), then draw the exterior walls on each floor - forget about interior walls/ceilings/stairs...just draw the exterior shell and put a roof on it manually. Get the roof to work...then go back and define the rest of the plan.