Passing The Baton To A Professional.

overlook

I want to build a new custom home. I’ve been involved with construction and architects before. So I have no intention of doing my own design or drawings. However, I have some ideas of what I want so I bought Chief Architect Suite (CAS) to get my ideas on paper. I am truly impressed with how powerful the software is. I get on my son about how much time he spends on video games. I now have no room to talk as CAS just sucked my time until I had something I liked. But I want to go no further. I want to find someone that can take my plans and turn them into something professional.

I have read the threads of architects vs. home designers and don’t really care about differentiating between the two disciplines. I want to find someone that can take my plan to the next level. Since I have worked with CAS, I started looking for a professional in northeast Ohio who works with the software but to no avail.

My question is, how do I locate someone who can pick up my plan and go forward? Can it be done remotely or do I need to find someone local? Any direction would be appreciated.  Thanks for reading. 

Overlook,

Start by trying to find one of the CA users that is local or at the very least in your geographic area.  They build homes completely different in Florida than they do in Massachusetts (or Ohio).  It is far easier to start with someone local with knowledge of your areas construction techniques rather than someone who doesn't know your local codes or construction techniques.  You'll save yourself a ton of headaches.

It is far easier to start with someone local with knowledge of your areas construction techniques rather than someone who doesn't know your local codes or construction techniques

agreed....

but as a professional I would research the local codes and talk to the permit office

and talk to the builder and even try to get the builder to send a prior permit set so that I could create a set similar

I found that even in the same county where I did live that the various builders all used different methods

and wanted/needed different info on the plans

and the nearby counties would want different info

and in the DC metro area I did projects in DC,MD,VA and 8 counties

across those states

I never charged the clients for this learning process since as a professional it was up to me

to know/learn this info

so if you can't find someone local don't be afraid of using "outsiders"

Lew

One more thing that would help when you contact me. I need expertise in a one story home with a walk-out basement. The basement is important as we have a 40" frost line. Please send emails of interest for me to consider. - mstrebler@roadrunner.com