End Gables/Panels with Shaker Profile

sea_lyons

Cabinet maker uses applied gables/end panels. I know that I can add these through the cabinet dialog box. When I do it this way, they aren't picked up when doing dimension lines so I'm having to add multiple point markers and do every one manually. Also, if I have an appliance on the end of a cabinet run (DW, bar fridge, etc), I'd be unable to add a gable/panel this way anyways. Also doesn't work well on the end of an island where you have cabinets on front and back with different depths.

So, I typically just resize a partition to make these end gables. The problem, however, is that I can't add a cabinet profile to these. Is there something in the library I'm missing or an easier way to do this without a thousand work arounds?

Have you tried just placing the end panel as a free-standing object?  Basically, any library door style can be placed in a plan as free-standing object.  Just place, resize, and then position it where you want. 

If you want/need more customization, then I would create one using a cabinet.  The problem with using a partition is that it can only be a simple slab. If you used a 3/4" deep wall cabinet, you could customize the front to be whatever you want.

6 hours ago, sea_lyons said:

Cabinet maker uses applied gables/end panels. I know that I can add these through the cabinet dialog box. When I do it this way, they aren't picked up when doing dimension lines so I'm having to add multiple point markers and do every one manually. Also, if I have an appliance on the end of a cabinet run (DW, bar fridge, etc), I'd be unable to add a gable/panel this way anyways. Also doesn't work well on the end of an island where you have cabinets on front and back with different depths.

So, I typically just resize a partition to make these end gables. The problem, however, is that I can't add a cabinet profile to these. Is there something in the library I'm missing or an easier way to do this without a thousand work arounds?

You made a post about something very similar last May , but I'm not sure you returned to it still using Point Markers.......here you go..........:) 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/34537-cabinet-panels/?do=findComment&comment=268751

Also Vid. and plan here on making a 1 1/2" Filler or End panel

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/31824-15-filler-with-panel-attached-vid/?tab=comments#comment-250551

M.

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

Check to see if "drawers/doors/panels" is checked for the dimension defaults you are using.  If not, the dimension tool won't pick up the panel you applied.  

Chief's Dim. Tools won't locate Auto Panels added to Cabinet sides, and the side effect of that setting would mean a Dim for every door edge ( and cabinet ) as you drag a dim. line across a run of cabinets I believe, hence the tips above to make 3/4 or 1 1/2" End Panels out of Base ( or Wall) Cabinets instead.

Mark has some good tips on doing this , and is why/how I started doing this, not sure I found all his Tips above though ?     @MarkMc

Mick. 

19 hours ago, sea_lyons said:

an easier way to do this

First off I'm with solver on this, I see no need to dimension to those. End of run and islands I want to dimension aisle clearance, IOW counter to counter or wall.

In any case I have one client where this can come up.

Make it from a cabinet. You would do it the way the way that cabinet doors can be made. (at least the way I've been doing it forever since most of the brands I carried were not in Chief)

Make from a cabinet and keep in library. This eliminates the problem of extra dimensions by locating cabinet doors that Mick mentions.

image.thumb.png.895705a1d242d5ce12746b7f87073135.png

Attached plan goes has a series of cabinets (note these are 35 3/4 high) used to get there.

Notes

You want to see open the DBX for each, pay attention to the sequence for setting the separations so they match a real door.

You will want to uncheck suppress adjacent room molding for that cabinet once done.

The wainscot panel used for this is included. For other door styles you will want to make your own. (see post I placed in symbols or maybe tips for making cabinet doors to make those using countertops and molding)

Make for wall, base and tall cabinets and keep in library. Or make a style palette for each.

Once made you can simply change out the wainscot panels for other door styles.

You can also change it to a full overlay gable on the fly-just change the front counter overhang at the same time. (or keep one of each in library :)

Gable plan.zip

On 1/13/2023 at 7:06 PM, solver said:

Just curious why you need to dimension these end panels.

10 hours ago, MarkMc said:

First off I'm with solver on this, I see no need to dimension to those

Cabinet maker and contractor requirement. They also use 5/8" gables on either side of a range/appliance so I find it helpful to have them dimensioned when planning out the space. I also like to be able to see them on my floorplan view which you can't when adding them through the cabinet dialog box (unless I'm mistaken here?)

On 1/13/2023 at 7:06 PM, solver said:

Can you show some examples of a finished cabinet that you wish to model?

Attaching the plan I was working on when I aired my frustrations (lol). Client wanted framed end panels on every end which wasn't an easy change given I had used partitions. I just wish there were an easier/more seamless way, I guess. There are drawbacks no matter which way I do it.

When I create them out of partitions:

- can only be slab but are dimensioned easier 

- crown does not extend over them so I'm having to do that separately

- can see on floorplan

When I add them through the dialog box:

- can be slab or framed but have to dimension each one manually with point markers 

- can't be larger than the cabinet you're applying it to (i.e. for the end of an island that is 2 cabinets deep/back to back)

- can't see on floorplan for space planning (this is the biggest problem for me and why I always just go back to just using partitions)

10 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Make it from a cabinet.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:08 PM, DBCooper said:

Basically, any library door style can be placed in a plan as free-standing object.  Just place, resize, and then position it where you want. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:38 PM, Kbird1 said:

Also Vid. and plan here on making a 1 1/2" Filler or End panel

Based on all of the helpful comments here though I think I'll just change to making them out of a cabinet or using a free-standing cabinet door. :wacko:

Decoe Court.zip