New MacBook Pro

Arcadian

Hi All,

Will be upgrading my current laptop soon. Going from Surface book 2 to a MacBook Pro 16inch with M2 chip and considering the Max chip. Has anyone recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro?

Would be intereted to  hear thoughts before committing.

Cheers,

Andy Smith

Hi Andy,

I just switched to a 2021 16" M1 MBP and it's been great. I was using a 2018 15" MBP before and the performance on X14 since upgrading has been great. The video card in my 2018 was starting to show its age and the upgrade to the M1 mac has alleviated a lot of my slowness problems I was seeing on my older machine.

I will say, the 2021 M1 MBP is a bit heavier than my 2018 one but not a ton. It's just enough to be noticeable though. Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Arcadian said:

Was considering going down to a 14 inch to save a bit on cost

I don't know that I could work on a 14" screen. If I had it connected to external monitors it'd probly be fine but if I were using it as the primary monitor, it would feel too claustrophobic for me. But, obviously, let your wallet be your guide.

4 hours ago, Arcadian said:

Thanks HT, 

Good info there. Weight issue not too important. Was considering going down to a 14 inch to save a bit on cost  

16” has significantly better cooling which is important with Chief and helps it run faster as the m2 runs more efficiently.

if you are getting a new one a 16” seems to be the sweet spot imho regarding portability and function.  Also upgrade everything so you can get as much time out if it as possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2023 at 11:13 PM, Arcadian said:

Hi Ryan,

Yes, agree with that. I noticed that your MB runs on 16GB memory. Happy with that? Was considering 64GB but probably stick with 32GB as a maxed-out option is verrry expensive here in NZ

Although 16 has worked for me I had to replace a dead computer while on vacation when I bought it and only use it while traveling which has been fine for me.  I would go 32 min and went with 64 on my desktop unit.  More than that I don’t see the need.

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 11:13 PM, Arcadian said:

Hi Ryan,

Yes, agree with that. I noticed that your MB runs on 16GB memory. Happy with that? Was considering 64GB but probably stick with 32GB as a maxed-out option is verrry expensive here in NZ

If it is your main computer I would go with 64 and if travel 32.  I had to buy that laptop last minute due to an emergency while traveling and was only able to get 16.