Custom Fireplace Mantel

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by Evolution,

The client sent me a photo of a custom fireplace he wants in his great room (with modifications). I had very little difficulty modeling it to his EXTREME satisfaction, however; of all things the custom shelf has turned out to be a mule!

I modeled it in sketch up (and he was ok with it) but, I can't down load the program to the company server (Tech Director said absolutely NOT). So, I save it to file on my lap top, opened the plan on the lap top, inserted the custom shelf and BANG, thought I had it.

Problem is, when I open the plan on the CO server it is no longer a supported file (no sketch up on the main server). Long story longer, I wound up using a custom slab, changing the mat'l to wood. Can't get the wood grain to run horizontally. I opened the slab dbx, then material, then selected plan, edit and change the angle of the texture, but it still looks like butcher block to me.

Sent a clip to him to see what he thought, he loved everything except the "butcher block shelf". I am looking for a "rough" texture I can import as a material etc., then maybe apply it to the slab, but I haven't found anything that looks quite right.

Who might have one in your pocket?

post-1662-0-88226600-1422997819_thumb.png

Bob, If you rotate the 'texture' material by changing the 'angle' 90 degrees you should get that grain to go the other direction as Alan suggests but also you can use any picture from any place to create a material and use that as a texture. Here's hundreds of wood grains to choose from below.

It took me a while to understand the whole 'texture' and 'material' paradigm that chief uses, and I would never accuse anyone of being as dim witted as I, but if you're stuck, ask and there will surely be someone here to help. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=WOOD+GRAIN+PICS&espv=2&biw=853&bih=626&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1UrRVJvlM8ibNv_kg9gL&ved=0CCAQsAQ

Here's a Chief Knowledge base article that's probably more than you need but I always forget how do this stuff.

Bob - also if you have a problem with the material running correctly on the edge but not the top you

can make the slab a solid and explode it and you will have individual surfaces.  Then make a copy

of the material and change orientation 90 degrees .  You can then convert back to symbol if needed.

Bob, If you rotate the 'texture' material by changing the 'angle' 90 degrees you should get that grain to go the other direction as Alan suggests but also you can use any picture from any place to create a material and use that as a texture. Here's hundreds of wood grains to choose from below.

It took me a while to understand the whole 'texture' and 'material' paradigm that chief uses, and I would never accuse anyone of being as dim witted as I, but if you're stuck, ask and there will surely be someone here to help. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=WOOD+GRAIN+PICS&espv=2&biw=853&bih=626&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1UrRVJvlM8ibNv_kg9gL&ved=0CCAQsAQ

Here's a Chief Knowledge base article that's probably more than you need but I always forget how do this stuff.

Thanks Larry! I did the copy paste material to the slab but the results weren't what he was hoping for, so I continue to work with it. As time permits today, I plan to get back to it and will give the recommendations a try. Thanks for the texture link, I will look into that also.

• Solution

Did you rotate the texture or the pattern? I think you did not rotate the texture or those lines would reorient. But, without having the plan file to look at.....

Forgot to rotate texture :0 that was it. It pays to go back and look again and again!