construction drawings

decorators3

Hi

I am working on a residential renovation project

The current house is a standard one level 40 x 24 with have a full 8' finished basement (not walk out) with L stairs to main floor . Exterior walls are Siding 4 and will follow upwards with the same

The client has requested the following  revisions

redesign main floor layout 

change main floor from 8' to 9' ceilings

add second level with 8' ceilings

12/12 gable roof pitch with storage room and dormers

I have done the revisions  but how do I note the added one foot to the main floor on my drawings for an engineer to sign of on to get the city building permit 

Thanks in advance

Levina

How about a cross section or elevation with the adjusted height, along with a plan note? I have been schooled (yelled at) by my engineer for 30+ years. My uneducated guess is that 1 foot of ceiling height will not change much of the engineers calculations...

Steve

7 hours ago, decorators3 said:

t how do I note the added one foot to the main floor on my drawings for an engineer to sign of on to get the city building permit 

i will use the revision cloud and put a label beside it noting the scope of change. in this case I would put on the cross section and probably note it on the elevation.

generally here stacking of walls is a no no without an engineer, unless you are taking off the top plates and sistering or replacing with 9' studs ...but I would assume that is the detail the authority is looking for

Assuming the exsiting ceiling joist and roof will need to be torn off:

I had a job recently where we just added a 4x12 to the top of the wall around the perimeter and used LPT4's to connect the beam to the top plate. Worked real nice so we didnt have to remove all the stucco and drywall. Just some drywall on the inside for shear wall.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, javatom said:

Your existing footings might not be wide enough for a second story.  If you have the original plans, it might show what is there.

Good point!
That was another thing that we were able to use pad footings under existing in verious locations becasue the engineered beams could carry a good span so we didnt have to undermine all the existing footing. In your case you have a partial basement so dont know how the would work. I dont do basements.

14 hours ago, decorators3 said:

I have done the revisions  but how do I note the added one foot to the main floor on my drawings for an engineer to sign of on to get the city building permit 

A yellow triangle with a number (a note) in the middle of the dimensioned plan view draws a lot of attention. Put in a note schedule titled something like 'Construction Notes' ... mention the additional height and add in 'additional details on page...' within the note and then insert a designated page in the layout with x-sections / elevations / details and anything else you want pertaining to the additional height. That should bring it to their attention.