LED Ceiling light

stephenbc

Is there a way to not have the finished ceiling pass through recessed lights such that the actual recessed part is observable?  I realize one can change the point for which the light shines from (i.e. say just below the ceiling), but this more for aesthetics/realism. 

LED Ceiling light.jpg

55 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

Is there a way to not have the finished ceiling pass through recessed lights such that the actual recessed part is observable?  I realize one can change the point for which the light shines from (i.e. say just below the ceiling), but this more for aesthetics/realism. 

LED Ceiling light.jpg

You might need to explain more , show a bigger image for more context etc or even post a sample plan with the Issue assuming that pic is in Chief? as I've never seen it happen if so.  Is the Light on the right set to 0" from the ceiling? does it's symbol have an Offset assigned?

M.

Sorry Mick...the light on the right was simply dropped lower so that you can see that it has glass further up in the light bezel.  Pic is from Chief, just that it's a close up of the two lights to show the issue of the ceiling blocking the inside of the left light.  The light was imported  (.dae) into Chief.   I've attached a simple plan box with some lights so you can see what I mean.

LED light.plan

2 hours ago, stephenbc said:

Sorry Mick...the light on the right was simply dropped lower so that you can see that it has glass further up in the light bezel.  Pic is from Chief, just that it's a close up of the two lights to show the issue of the ceiling blocking the inside of the left light.  The light was imported  (.dae) into Chief.   I've attached a simple plan box with some lights so you can see what I mean.

LED light.plan 7.65 MB · 1 download

It is just that particular symbol and I think why even Chief's own Recessed lights also don't have the the actual recess as the Light would need to cut a Hole on the Ceiling Layer  ( much like a sink does in a countertop )

Any particular reason you want tis Symbol rather than just resizing Chief's default RL's and saving them to you library in a variety of sizes?

M.

Yes, I agree, it would require the same behaviour as a sink cut-out in a countertop.  Perhaps that functionality just isn't there.

This particular symbol was the closest I could find to the lights being used, even with sizing.  Again, it's for a close up rendering.

6 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

Yes, I agree, it would require the same behaviour as a sink cut-out in a countertop.  Perhaps that functionality just isn't there.

I don't have time to test it at the moment but I think you can block a hole to a symbol and then remake the symbol.  I have a terrain object that works that way so it may work for a ceiling mount as well.   Let us know if you can get it to work.

15 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

This particular symbol was the closest I could find to the lights being used, even with sizing.  Again, it's for a close up rendering.

Oh I see, okay then I would use a Solid for the Ceiling Drywall and cut a hole in it where needed.....

Mick.

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Oh I see, okay then I would use a Solid for the Ceiling Drywall and cut a hole in it where needed.....

Ouch....     "Hole in Ceiling Platform"    Scalpel not Dynamite.

Unless of course you have a second floor above as Chief does not seem to know the difference between a floor and a ceiling.