Problematic wall niche and more

marlem2000

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

this can be done by navigating to 3D> Lighting> Add Lights addlights.png?1643818217     but since you can't see them in 3D cameras you can place them anywhere , more about it near the bottom here :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00777/working-with-lighting.html

I have a bit of more light now. It's not enough yet but I think this option can help.:)

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I can see in the pics above your computer has (2) Graphics cards , so you do need to check the Render Tab in Chief and make sure Chief is using the Nvidia Card. Show me your Render Tab pls.

I have configured Chief Architect for a high performance with my graphic card. Now it seems the soft is a bit faster. Anyway, I keep on getting problems with the dark screen in the night view. Probably there's something I'm missing or it's just a problem of my card.:unsure:

Captura1.JPG

Captura2.JPG

Captura3.JPG

19 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

Probably there's something I'm missing or it's just a problem of my card

Trying installing the latest Nvidia Driver ( you have 512.15 ) suggested by Chief to use   Version 526.98  or  526.86 which I am using from November, it may or may not help with the black screen problem.  This is my Thread/posts to the best Nvidia Drivers in Chief.............

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-drivers-updated/?do=findComment&comment=281778

M.

17 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Trying installing the latest Nvidia Driver ( you have 512.15 ) suggested by Chief to use   Version 526.98  or  526.86 which I am using from November, it may or may not help with the black screen problem.  This is my Thread/posts to the best Nvidia Drivers in Chief.............

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-drivers-updated/?do=findComment&comment=281778

M.

Thanks, Mick! :)I've just installed the version 526.98 but, for the moment, there's any change at all. I'll restart my computer and see what happens.

One last question not related to this: Is there any way to make a doorway like the one in the picture below? I have tried all door tools and I can make the arch on top but not the sides.:unsure:

2021-WDW-contemporary-resort-incredibles-themed-rooms-20.jpg

3 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

Thanks, Mick! :)I've just installed the version 526.98 but, for the moment, there's any change at all. I'll restart my computer and see what happens.

It is likely then that the 960 doesn't not 100% support the new 3D engine in X14 then, you could perhaps look for a new 3000 or 4000 series GPU or even a used GPU in the 2000 Series depending on your budget, if you are not considering a whole new computer of course.

29 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

Any detail about how you made the hole with the polyline solid?

I don't think it's a Hole , he has broken the bottom edge and just pulled it up............ you can do the same thing with a Wall in Elevation , however a Wall can't have the Radius curves..... hence why I think David used the 3D Solid , it also will not show the framing like a wall when "cut" which needs to be patched.

image.thumb.png.d281e242689d7edf736068c6a018f8ca.png  image.thumb.png.33c8781d542efc028e0823fc3422a14c.png  image.thumb.png.b611168a5bb421d94f428e03531132df.png

47 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

Hi, David! Many thanks for stopping by.:) Any detail about how you made the hole with the polyline solid?

No problem at all :)

This particular design can be achieved by drawing the polyline solid in plan view, and then adjusting the extents in elevation view. 

While still in elevation view, you can then select the bottom of the polyline solid and break it into segments (using the "break tool" or F3) which will allow you to create an opening and adjust its shape to whatever you prefer aesthetically. 

Nodes.thumb.PNG.7a2322cbd61014babf4e7a43ac278100.PNG

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It is likely then that the 960 doesn't not 100% support the new 3D engine in X14 then, you could perhaps look for a new 3000 or 4000 series GPU or even a used GPU in the 2000 Series depending on your budget, if you are not considering a whole new computer of course

I keep on getting problems with the black screen so I'll have to think about another graphic card or, maybe, a new computer (the one I have is old).:unsure:

I have walked my first step with the wall ellevation view. Many thanks for the help:)

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

48 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

maybe, a new computer (the one I have is old)

That is my suggestion if affordable.......  but if you can get a 2nd hand (used) 2000 series like a 2070 Super , it mybe enough to last you a few years yet :)

If that is a Solid you can add an ARC ( curve ) by adding a small angled piece ( add a break) and then use the ARC Tool and then the Tangent Tool to smooth it out if needed.

image.thumb.png.c12d247bc12c34968695a3d27ef7f24d.png  image.png.35b21d6de113950e629a0977295ff8bf.png

M.

48 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

If that is a Solid you can add an ARC ( curve ) by adding a small angled piece ( add a break) and then use the ARC Tool and then the Tangent Tool to smooth it out if needed.

image.thumb.png.c12d247bc12c34968695a3d27ef7f24d.png  image.png.35b21d6de113950e629a0977295ff8bf.png

M.

I'm a bit stuck in all of this. The doorway doesn't look well cos it's made by hand (I don't have any kind of method to do it).:unsure: I just use a polyline to make like a "guide" over the wall. I don't know what I need the solid polyline for. I think I'm lost :(

Untitled 1.jpg

9 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

I don't know what I need the solid polyline for

Only if you need an ARC or curved section , if you break a Normal Wall it won't allow the use of the ARC Tool  ( unless that changed in X14 I didn't try it )

PS..... Chief LOVES to snap to CAD Lines , so you can use them and setup them with Dimensions and then "snap" the Wall/3D Solid Points to them.

M.

12 hours ago, glennw said:

Or...if you really need it to be a wall, you can use the Inserts Into Wall option for a symbol.

This option then allows you to make any shaped wall opening that you want.

Where is the "Inserts Into Wall" option? It sounds interesting. Maybe I can try to build carefully my own shape with a polyline, convert it into a symbol and do the rest.:)

12 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

PS..... Chief LOVES to snap to CAD Lines , so you can use them and setup them with Dimensions and then "snap" the Wall/3D Solid Points to them.

I know Chief loves to snap. In fact, sometimes I have some problems with that so I use the Ctrl key to avoid it.:D Anyway, I must confess the snap option has saved my live 95% of the times.:rolleyes:

For me it's difficult to create a balanced shape, specially with curves. I'm not too quick with the tools.:(

6 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

know Chief loves to snap. In fact, sometimes I have some problems with that so I use the Ctrl key to avoid it.:D Anyway, I must confess the snap option has saved my live 95% of the times.:rolleyes:

For me it's difficult to create a balanced shape, specially with curves. I'm not too quick with the tools.:(

Oh yes the CTRL key is a must , as is zooming in ( mouse wheel needed 100% ) to be accurate

I was suggesting using a grid of CAD lines spaced with dimensions , so everything is balanced and 100% accurate.....

I'll leave Glenn to explain the "Inserts into Wall" it's not a Tool I use much.....       @glennw

M.

• Like 1