Electrical Panel Schedules

skoz44

Anybody have a suggestion to create electrical panel schedules?  If so, would you mind sharing a screen shot of how you do it?

For years, I've been creating them in Excel, then pasting a screen shot of it in the plan; however, I'd prefer to be able to make one through the Rich Text or Text tool.  Or even better, just copy my Excel spreadsheet and paste it into Rich Text or Text (this always messes up the formatting).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skoz44 said:

Anybody have a suggestion to create electrical panel schedules?  If so, would you mind sharing a screen shot of how you do it?

For years, I've been creating them in Excel, then pasting a screen shot of it in the plan; however, I'd prefer to be able to make one through the Rich Text or Text tool.  Or even better, just copy my Excel spreadsheet and paste it into Rich Text or Text (this always messes up the formatting).

The best method depends a little on your desired output.   Can you show us an example of what you'd like your panel schedule to look like?

Sure.  Here is my Excel template, which I take a screenshot and place into CA.  Ideally, I could paste this directly into a text field, so I could then edit it.  I'd settle for something not as "pretty", but could be edited.

Panel Schedule.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, skoz44 said:

Here's a couple examples of how I have organized panel schedules which coordinate to Notes (keynotes) with each breaker number to show which circuit each electrical element on the drawing is on. I've had many building departments approve my drawings using what I've shown below without issues thus far. Hope it helps!

These two examples are for the following panel types:
1) Feeder "Sub Panel" where the panel had all 6 breakers in a single row. 
2) Table template where the numbering for the breakers alternates between two columns (typical electrical panel)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help if I can!

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 10.45.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 10.44.53 PM.png

PANEL SCHEDULE - FEEDER SUBPANEL A.calibz PANEL SCHEDULE TABLE - ADVANCED WITH LINE LOADS.calibz

• Like 1

Just now, tinadelllic said:

Here's a couple examples of how I have organized panel schedules which coordinate to Notes (keynotes) with each breaker number to show which circuit each electrical element on the drawing is on. I've had many building departments approve my drawings using what I've shown below without issues thus far. Hope it helps!

These two examples are for the following panel types:
1) Feeder "Sub Panel" where the panel had all 6 breakers in a single row. 
2) Table template where the numbering for the breakers alternates between two columns (typical electrical panel)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help if I can!

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 10.45.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 10.44.53 PM.png

PANEL SCHEDULE - FEEDER SUBPANEL A.calibz 7.06 kB · 0 downloads PANEL SCHEDULE TABLE - ADVANCED WITH LINE LOADS.calibz 4.66 kB · 0 downloads

I have similar tables I've made to use with load calculations and reference tables for typical appliance watts, formulas, conversions, etc. too

Creating Electrical schedules requiring AFCI breakers can cause problems.  The NEC, National Electric Code, gives the final decisions to the "Authority Having Jurisdiction"which is the local Electrical Inspector.

Different States and local Municipalities have adapted different version of the most recent code.  Some are up to date, some use the code from three years ago and some haven't updated for six years.   

Some of the posted schedules in the this thread would not pass the most current version of the NEC.

An example locally is, one inspector requires kitchen refrigerators to be AFCI/GFCI protected without exception.  Another local inspector uses common sense and says "No, It's going to trip and ruin all the food, then ice is going to melt and cause water damage"

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, Electromen said:

Creating Electrical schedules requiring AFCI breakers can cause problems.  The NEC, National Electric Code, gives the final decisions to the "Authority Having Jurisdiction"which is the local Electrical Inspector.

Different States and local Municipalities have adapted different version of the most recent code.  Some are up to date, some use the code from three years ago and some haven't updated for six years.   

Some of the posted schedules in the this thread would not pass the most current version of the NEC.

An example locally is, one inspector requires kitchen refrigerators to be AFCI/GFCI protected without exception.  Another local inspector uses common sense and says "No, It's going to trip and ruin all the food, then ice is going to melt and cause water damage"

Every building department is definitely different. I added the GFCI/AFCI aspect to my panel schedules at the request of the building department after a plan review on a project from about two years ago. As always, it’s essential to use anything shared on Chief with caution and “localize” to fit your application :) Do you have a favorite panel schedule template you prefer to use? Would love to see more ideas!

11 hours ago, tinadelllic said:

Every building department is definitely different. I added the GFCI/AFCI aspect to my panel schedules at the request of the building department after a plan review on a project from about two years ago. As always, it’s essential to use anything shared on Chief with caution and “localize” to fit your application :) Do you have a favorite panel schedule template you prefer to use? Would love to see more ideas!

I don't do panel schedules in CA.  They are not required for permits.  I make them when I wire the panels.

1 hour ago, Electromen said:

I don't do panel schedules in CA.  They are not required for permits.  I make them when I wire the panels.

Sounds like you live somewhere reasonable haha. In the jurisdictions I've been working in most recently, panel schedules are required for all new construction, home additions that are more than just one room, if you upgrade the service amperage on an existing home, and sub panels.. ugh. This of course is along with load calcs. One line diagrams are sneaking their way into the norm too.. lol