Block Fence - Material Turned 90 Degrees

skoz44

I've got an annoyance that I've just put up with for a while; however, hoping someone here can shed some light on it.  When I create block walls to wrap a back yard, I've always used fencing, then adjusted the Newels/Balusters to the block wall height and width, changed the panel width and to solid, then applied whatever material.  The issue I have is the material is always applied 90 degrees from what it should (which I then have to create a custom material turned 90 degrees).  I attached a screenshot here.  The slump block material is the same on the house walls, and both block fences.

What am I doing wrong here that is creating this?

Thanks

Fence.jpg

10 hours ago, skoz44 said:

What am I doing wrong here that is creating this?

Nothing :)  Chief is sometimes a "little" too smart for it's own good and have been programmed to orientate certain things in a particular way as CS mentioned another example is Framing materials  eg this Beam and the Studs are all Framing 1 , but the beam grain runs horizontally , so sometimes it is a battle , fighting chief's programming depending on the object.  You could just use Solids perhaps if the Newels etc are not needed/to be shown.

image.thumb.png.0e1de9d698537e0e5a935d6c603c767a.png

M.

1 hour ago, skoz44 said:

If I use a wall, then I still have to make it a railing in order to make it a different height (ex. 40" tall, 48" tall, etc.)

Yes there is that problem.  I was just experimenting with a possible solution that I have not tried before but it seems all I have found is another irregularity with the software. :(

You can make a wall any height you want by selecting it and then dragging the top down.  Generally, you want to control wall heights through the room heights but if you are modeling a free-standing masonry wall then adjusting the height seems fine.

You can also use a solid railing instead of a fence.  These come with a wall cap by default that you may or may not want.  You could remove it if you don't want it.

If you have terrain, you could also use a terrain wall.  These will follow the terrain though and this may or may not be what you want.

There are probably a lot of other ways to create a wall not using the wall tools.  

Although when all is said and done, I'm not sure that creating a copy of the brick material and rotating is really a problem either.

Picture below shows a normal brick wall with the height lowered, a solid rail, and a terrain wall (going over a bump).

brick walls.jpg