Time Tracker PITA!!!!!!!

RobUSMC

The time log has always been a thorn in my side.  I have it set to auto stop after 5 mins of no activity but every time I look at the log for a project it is nowhere near where it should be.  Example.  I have been doing some revisions on a plan between 12-27-2022 thru today 1-6-2023.  I opened the time tracker log and entered these start and end dates I wanted to see the time spent but as usual it is never correct.  In this case it was about 20-21 hrs. based on my own manual time tracking but the time log shows 240+ hours.  There are even days in this plan and most other plans it shows time spent during a single of 100+ hours when there's only 24 in a day.  I don't get it.  

Time Log.png

I'd send it in to TS , personally I haven't seen this happen, but it appears the Clock didn't turn off from Dec.27th - Jan 6th? 

and those 240 hours seem to be there twice as well  (blue highlight and your red arrow/line)

I need this to be accurate as well , so hopefully this isn't widespread....

M.

It looks to me like you are simply using the time tracker tool incorrectly. You are attempting to use the start and end dates as a query to get a total of time log entries, but that’s not what that section is for. You are simply selecting a start and end date for a new/edited entry. The time between January 27 and December 6 is about 10 days or 240 hours. 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It looks to me like you are simply using the time tracker tool incorrectly. You are attempting to use the start and end dates as a query to get a total of time log entries, but that’s not what that section is for. You are simply selecting a start and end date for a new/edited entry. The time between January 27 and December 6 is about 10 days or 240 hours. 

Oh good thought ,  I am not even sure if querying works in the Time Tracker DBX? or perhaps I've never used it :) 

I export to .csv to excel and do the calcs there usually.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/33811-quick-tip-one-method-to-use-excel-to-convert-chiefs-time-tracker-durations/?tab=comments#comment-263978

Mick

1 minute ago, RobUSMC said:

Does anyone have an Xcel template that you only have to import the csv file? so it can be used over and over

Personally I haven't found a way to do it via a template accurately every time , but admit I am no expert in Excel ...be nice if Chief Provided a Template for this.

M.

7 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

Does anyone have an Xcel template that you only have to import the csv file? so it can be used over and over

We’ve actually been over this whole thing before and I provided you with a template at that time…

I haven’t used it in X14 so not sure if it works anymore or not. 

By the way, I also offered you a couple other good alternative solutions in that thread as well.  

28 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It still sounds crazy and a useless tool  if you have a time span of 10 days x 24 hrs per day its going to 240 hours.  What use is that to someone.  I does track time from one point in time to another point in time but not how much time you've spent work on a pan.

5 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

It still sounds crazy and a useless tool  if you have a time span of 10 days x 24 hrs per day its going to 240 hours.  What use is that to someone.  I does track time from one point in time to another point in time but not how much time you've spent work on a pan.

It’s not a query of time log entries.  It IS the time log entry.  It’s how you edit the time log entry and it’s how you create a new entry manually.  The title is Selected Entry not Selected Entries.

1 hour ago, RobUSMC said:

So what's the best way to ask the question or show a client.... I spent X amount of hours from Date Y to Date Z?    Pretty simple I thought.

This may not be exactly what you are asking but for instance if you are billing on a monthly or bi-weekly schedule then what I do is place the Total Duration total into the notes of the date you are billing so the the next time you bill you can just subtract that time from the new total.  You can also note that you have invoiced for the hours to date and even go back and mark it paid if you like.

I also have a system of doing it in excel that works but it is quite complicated and I rarely use it anymore because of the time involved.

Another option is to go to File> Manage Auto Archives.

While you won't get a specific hourly tabulation for the day, it is very possible to gain some perspective on the general start and completion times. 

The trick is to hit "save" as soon as you start work, and as always, "save" when taking a break or closing up shop for the day. 

Taking a screen capture of the archived dates and time blocks will allow it to be printed for tabulating the number of hours.