Accounting Codes - Where Do They Live and How Can I Update?

JacobsonRemodel

I am working on integrating CA x14 into our broader workflow and bookkeeping and want to be able to use the Accounting Codes.  In order to do this I need to be able to do two things:

1 - See all of the Accounting Codes for all of the objects/materials/etc.  (Every possible iteration)

2 - Mass update this information (via query, file replacement, export/import, etc.)

I have been working on this for a few hours and have searched this forum but haven't found what I'm looking for. It is not practical to take the material lists and manually update every row whenever it is generated.  

I know they have an integration agreement with Buildertrend, who is probably responsible for these codes.  Since these appeared to be defined on the library-level I started digging into the various CALIB (SQLite3) files but haven't found references to the codes in the tables.  That makes me think this information is actually a level higher up.

31 minutes ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

I am working on integrating CA x14 into our broader workflow and bookkeeping and want to be able to use the Accounting Codes.  In order to do this I need to be able to do two things:

1 - See all of the Accounting Codes for all of the objects/materials/etc.  (Every possible iteration)

2 - Mass update this information (via query, file replacement, export/import, etc.)

I have been working on this for a few hours and have searched this forum but haven't found what I'm looking for. It is not practical to take the material lists and manually update every row whenever it is generated.  

I know they have an integration agreement with Buildertrend, who is probably responsible for these codes.  Since these appeared to be defined on the library-level I started digging into the various CALIB (SQLite3) files but haven't found references to the codes in the tables.  That makes me think this information is actually a level higher up.

Preface that I do not use the material list function. 
All objects/symbols have a component panel in its respective dialogue box that reports its accounting code. You would need to open each component and change its accounting code and then set that object to default, such as walls, and then save this to a template or library.
It would probably be easier with framing for instance to have all framing report to a custom schedule whose columns are limited to only one column "Code" and then choose open row object and drop in the macro %accounting_code% in the code designation of the OIP
So that it reports the accounting code to the code column in the master material list
or you can simply past =accounting_code in the code column of your material list or type in your own codes.

37 minutes ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

1010 - Building permits

1020 - HBA assessments

1030 - Warranty fees

1110 - Blueprints

1120 - Surveys

1210 - Lot clearing

1220 - Fill dirt and material

1300 - Demolition

1400 - Temporary electric

1420 - Individual wells

1430 - Water service

1440 - Septic system

1450 - Sewer system

1460 - Gas service

1470 - Electric service

1480 - Telephone service

1490 - Other utility connections

2000 - Excavation and backfill

2010 - Plumbing - ground

2100 - Footings and foundation

2105 - Rebar and reinforcing steel

2110 - Concrete block

2120 - Rough grading

2130 - Window wells

2200 - Waterproofing

2300 - Termite protection

3100 - Structural steel

3110 - Lumber 1st package

3120 - Lumber 2nd package

3130 - Lumber 3rd package

3140 - Trusses

3150 - Miscellaneous lumber

3210 - Framing labor draw #1

3220 - Framing labor draw #2

3230 - Framing labor draw #3

3300 - Windows

3350 - Skylights

3400 - Exterior siding

3410 - Exterior trim labor

3500 - Flatwork material

3550 - Flatwork labor

3610- HVAC rough

3720 - Plumbing rough

3810 - Electrical rough

3910 - Gutters and downspouts

4100 - Roofing material

4150 - Roofing labor

4200 - Masonry material

4250 - Masonry labor

4300 - Exterior doors

4350 - Garage door

4400 - Insulation

4500 - Fireplaces

4600 - Painting exterior

5100- Drywall

5200 - Interior trim material

5250 - Interior trim labor

5300 - Painting interior

5400 - Cabinets and vanities

5450 - Countertops

5510- Ceramic tile

5520 - Special flooring

55S0 - Vinyl

5540 - Carpet

5610 - Hardware

5620 - Shower doors and mirrors

5630 - Appliances

5700 - HVAC final

5710 - Plumbing final

5720 - Electrical fixtures

5730- Electrical final

5810 - Wall coverings

5890- Special finishes

6100 - Clean-up

6200 - Final grade

6300 - Driveways

6400 - Patios, walks

6450 - Decks

6490 - Fences

6500 - Ornamental iron

6600 - Landscaping

6700 - Pools

Assorted Fixtures

Assorted Floors

Exterior Trim Material

Geometric Shapes

Interior Doors

Uncategorized Items

38 minutes ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

38 minutes ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

It is not practical to take the material lists and manually update every row whenever it is generated.  

Can you elaborate on these?  What exactly are you updating in each scenario?

18 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Can you elaborate on these?  What exactly are you updating in each scenario?

My cost/accounting codes do not necessarily align with those in CA.  I am trying to prevent coding a solution between CA and my other software that would change the built-in codes.

By knowing how many codes there are, and what they are, I can better understand the scope and logic behind everything.  The next step would be to change the master list to my own codes.

1 hour ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

My cost/accounting codes do not necessarily align with those in CA.  I am trying to prevent coding a solution between CA and my other software that would change the built-in codes.

You are trying to prevent coding a solution?  Did I read that correctly?

1 hour ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

By knowing how many codes there are, and what they are, I can better understand the scope and logic behind everything.  The next step would be to change the master list to my own codes.

I posted all the codes earlier in the thread.  I just used the drop down list Glenn mentioned and copied the text from a screenshot using one of my other apps.  I don't know of anywhere else they can be copied.  At any rate, yes, you could change the master list so that it will automatically update all the appropriate codes to match yours, but that's a lot of work.  Here's something to think about:

Are you actually going to use the Material List directly from Chief or are you going to make other tweaks?  If you're going to make other tweaks anyway (which most people do), why not simply copy/paste or export/import to a spreadsheet template where all the accounting code changes are just made automatically? 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You are trying to prevent coding a solution?  Did I read that correctly?

Yes, I already have enough bespoke code and processes to manage and maintain. Spending time now changing that master list will save multiples of that time later.

I am trying to move beyond tweaking a Material List at all once it is generated.  Yes, I absolutely could make changes at this stage, but that step should not be necessary.

Thank you for the list and your responses.  It's very helpful.  I understand I am coming at this from a different direction of a typical user. 

yes, you could change the master list so that it will automatically update all the appropriate codes to match yours

Where/how do I go about doing this?

37 minutes ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

I want to set all the codes BEFORE any given plan is started.  Therefore whatever is designed will have my codes attached off the bat.

Sounds reasonable that an End User would want to do this esp. if they don't work with BuilderTrend, but I think you'll need to make a Feature Request

for Access to those Codes in Chief , for example through Preferences > Materials List > (new tab) Accounting Codes

( it's quite possible BT uses Industry Standard Acct. Codes? that CA assumes we all use )

M.

21 hours ago, JacobsonRemodel said:

I want to set all the codes BEFORE any given plan is started.  Therefore whatever is designed will have my codes attached off the bat.

This isn't currently possible. 

• You can set your own codes in all the Components in your Default Settings but not all object have defaults and not all Components are accessible from the Defaults.
  • You can also set all the desired codes in your Master List which can be done before you start your plan, BUT, even after all the work put into generating that Master List (which I think will be far more than you think), you'll still have to Update From Master (which would have to be done after the fact and in a pretty specific manner if all you want to do is change the accounting codes). 

I know its not what you want, but I'm going to very strongly recommend you abandon your current course and just use a spreadsheet template to make the changes.  Copy/paste or export/import is a very small price to pay for avoiding all the problems you're going to run into. 

• 8 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 4:16 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

1010 - Building permits

1020 - HBA assessments

1030 - Warranty fees

1110 - Blueprints

1120 - Surveys

1210 - Lot clearing

1220 - Fill dirt and material

1300 - Demolition

1400 - Temporary electric

1420 - Individual wells

1430 - Water service

1440 - Septic system

1450 - Sewer system

1460 - Gas service

1470 - Electric service

1480 - Telephone service

1490 - Other utility connections

2000 - Excavation and backfill

2010 - Plumbing - ground

2100 - Footings and foundation

2105 - Rebar and reinforcing steel

2110 - Concrete block

2120 - Rough grading

2130 - Window wells

2200 - Waterproofing

2300 - Termite protection

3100 - Structural steel

3110 - Lumber 1st package

3120 - Lumber 2nd package

3130 - Lumber 3rd package

3140 - Trusses

3150 - Miscellaneous lumber

3210 - Framing labor draw #1

3220 - Framing labor draw #2

3230 - Framing labor draw #3

3300 - Windows

3350 - Skylights

3400 - Exterior siding

3410 - Exterior trim labor

3500 - Flatwork material

3550 - Flatwork labor

3610- HVAC rough

3720 - Plumbing rough

3810 - Electrical rough

3910 - Gutters and downspouts

4100 - Roofing material

4150 - Roofing labor

4200 - Masonry material

4250 - Masonry labor

4300 - Exterior doors

4350 - Garage door

4400 - Insulation

4500 - Fireplaces

4600 - Painting exterior

5100- Drywall

5200 - Interior trim material

5250 - Interior trim labor

5300 - Painting interior

5400 - Cabinets and vanities

5450 - Countertops

5510- Ceramic tile

5520 - Special flooring

55S0 - Vinyl

5540 - Carpet

5610 - Hardware

5620 - Shower doors and mirrors

5630 - Appliances

5700 - HVAC final

5710 - Plumbing final

5720 - Electrical fixtures

5730- Electrical final

5810 - Wall coverings

5890- Special finishes

6100 - Clean-up

6200 - Final grade

6300 - Driveways

6400 - Patios, walks

6450 - Decks

6490 - Fences

6500 - Ornamental iron

6600 - Landscaping

6700 - Pools

Assorted Fixtures

Assorted Floors

Exterior Trim Material

Geometric Shapes

Interior Doors

Uncategorized Items

Thank you for this list!!  Where would I go in the software to locate this list and does CA notify users of changes in this list?