Soffit appears above roof plane

BlairDrafting

I'm having an issue with soffits appearing above the roof planes. This mostly occurs with porch or deck roofs, but can also happen to a roof over dwelling. It is most noticeable on roofs sloped at 4/12 or less. I've been seeing this happen since I started working with Chief in X12 and thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else has thought of a solution.

Renderings attached show above and below the roof plane.

image.png

image.png

• Downvote 1

It looks like there is an invisible wall below that roof. It could be that your ceiling height of the porch is too high. If you attach your plan file, I can "guess and check" with the settings and tell you how I fixed it. 

Please see attached plan file for reference. I've drawn a revision cloud around the soffit area I've been having difficulties with.

Since my previous post I've adjusted the roof structure material to 9 1/4" (down from 14"), which has mitigated the problem, but not eliminated it.

There is a railing wall which defines the roof bearing for that plane.

I'm curious why this issue would affect one roof plane and not the rest of them in the same area.

D-22-119 - BROLLY - FIELDCREST - DEC 2022 (AS-BUILT).plan

On opening your floor plan, I do not see the problem.

One thing I did notice was that very small hip/valley on the upper roof.

My advice would be to change the floor plan and/or roof to eliminate it so as to avoid any water penetration problems (and easier construction).

19 minutes ago, glennw said:

On opening your floor plan, I do not see the problem.

I didn't see it first either, because:

3 hours ago, BlairDrafting said:

Since my previous post I've adjusted the roof structure material to 9 1/4" (down from 14"), which has mitigated the problem, but not eliminated it.

The soffit offset is still there, just not nearly as pronounced as in the images in the OP.

I couldn't find the problem.

47 minutes ago, BlairDrafting said:

Thanks for looking into it all. It seems like reducing the roof framing also reduces how much the soffit protrudes when this issue occurs. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this happen to their roof planes.

If I replicate your original design (Because it appears the download file has been corrected), I see what you're talking about, but looking at how your original file is drawn, correcting it how you have in the download file would be the solution to this problem.  Plate height, window interaction, overhang etc. would all play a factor in buildability.

Curious though.  The framing components you're using for the roof - are they 'actual' size 2x8s?  It's been a while since I've seen those.  I only ask because your roof structure is set to 8" even.

I've attached the file again but modified to recreate the problem.

166289684_D-22-119-BROLLY-FIELDCREST-DEC2022(AS-BUILT).plan

11 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

Curious though.  The framing components you're using for the roof - are they 'actual' size 2x8s?  It's been a while since I've seen those.  I only ask because your roof structure is set to 8" even.

You're correct. I must've confused the roof structure here with that of another job I'm working on. Thanks for pointing that out.

11 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

If I replicate your original design (Because it appears the download file has been corrected), I see what you're talking about, but looking at how your original file is drawn, correcting it how you have in the download file would be the solution to this problem.  Plate height, window interaction, overhang etc. would all play a factor in buildability.

I'm inclined to agree. Even in a situation where the roof requires a 14" (or bigger) joist I would still need to raise the roof to accommodate an appropriate heel height, which would likely also correct the soffit height. I would still like to know why Chief places the soffit above the bottom of the fascia in this situation.

• 10 months later...

For anyone still curious about this issue: it appears CA is placing the sub fascia too high up on the roof plane. The soffit height is determined by the sub fascia in the roof plane structure. By increasing the roof plane's sub fascia from 5.5" to 16" (a ridiculous amount) I've found a workaround. I'm still not satisfied with this non-solution but at least it hides the problem.

image.png

image.png