Plan Dimension Defaults

payettedesigns

I am interested to see what Dimension Defaults Primary Format # a lot of are using. For Example 1/1 1/2 1/16. We  generally use 1/1 for remodels and  most Homes  and 1/16 for commercial work.  I would like to here your reasons which some are obvious.  Most framers do not like fractional measurements like trying to frame a residential wall with a 1/6 " measurement on the plan would be silly.

Cheers

David P

Hey @payettedesigns

I think you're referring to scale sizes?  I'm not entirely sure as it seems perhaps you're working in a different format than I'm use to.  Most of our plans are drawn on 11x17 or 24x36 pages so the format we use is 1/4, 1/2 and 1/8 primarily.  In all my years in the industry I haven't needed to drop to 1/16; but again I may not be understanding the question; so I apologize if that's the case.

I try to stick to whole inches but it's not practical for everything. My primary default is set for 1/2" but I dimension to the whole inch as much as possible. Very rarely, but now and then I need something dimensioned at 1/4" My work is strictly new homes, no remodel or commercial.

1/16" dims on a residential framing plan sounds like a good way to get a hammer to the back of the head when leaving the jobsite. :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

Hey @payettedesigns

I think you're referring to scale sizes?  I'm not entirely sure as it seems perhaps you're working in a different format than I'm use to.  Most of our plans are drawn on 11x17 or 24x36 pages so the format we use is 1/4, 1/2 and 1/8 primarily.  In all my years in the industry I haven't needed to drop to 1/16; but again I may not be understanding the question; so I apologize if that's the case.

I have been an Architect for 20 years I know what scale sizes are. In Plan dimension defaults you have the option of drawing 1/1 1/2 and 1/6 all I was asking was what people generally used out of curiosity. I have been using Chief Premier for over 10 years and Revit for 20 years. Pretty sure after literally hundreds of residential and commercial projects we have scaling down but thanks for the reply..

I have been an Architect for 20 years I know what scale sizes are. In Plan dimension defaults you have the option of drawing 1/1 1/2 and 1/6 all I was asking was what people generally used out of curiosity. I have been using Chief Premier for over 10 years and Revit for 20 years. Pretty sure after literally hundreds of residential and commercial projects we have scaling down but thanks for the reply..

I'd enjoy doing big-footage houses where there are zero fractions in the structural parts of the plans:  foundations, floor frames, wall framing, window placement, etc.

How are you dealing with wall heights when the yards are selling precut studs for nominal 8 and 9 ceiling heights, you know, those pesky wall heights like 97-1/8"?

And then there is the centerline stuff when the spread is a odd inch like say 47, and you gotta go with 23 and a dreaded half.

So what's up when odd numbers like 1 and 3 and more are your post makeups for framing, which is 1-1/2"?  Do you round up the dimension of the 3-stud pack from 4-1/2" to 5"?

And remodels mean as-builts, so you are rounding everything measured on site to the nearest whole inch?

Keep it on 1/16.  I actually set it to ten decimals so oddball dimensions really jump out and I can fix them as early as possible and along the way.  I stick with whole or half inches and always draw to snap grid.  I set snap to 1".

If you set Dimension accuracy to 1/1 you are setting yourself up for a total disaster.  You could have a dimension that is actually 16' - 6 9/16" but it would read 16' - 7".  IMHO, this setting is for rookies with a messy drawing and dimensions.

All the framers use a phone app or a dedicated handheld calculator for getting cut info for rafters and anything needing bevel and or miter cuts.  The output is often in 16ths.

I don't think they are in-their-head rounding up or down to nearest quarter or half to mark and cut.  I framed and never did that.  It's too easy to make a mistake.  If you are cutting all day, you know where every sixteenth is on the tape, and you really only need the four patterns in your head to look and mark quickly.  And everybody in the crew knows what a sixteenth is relative to the kerf of the saw they are using to cut.

For floor plans I try never to use finer than 1/2 but will go 1/4 if necessary.  For concrete work, 1/2.  But my defaults are set to 1/16".

If I want to communicate truss envelope detail I use the convention of foot-inch-sixteenth, example 12-6-2 for 12'-6 1/8".

I set the Accuracy default in primary format to 1/8" with Reduce set to greatest common divisor in 1/8", 1/4", & 1/2" scales. I set it to 1/16" in 3/4", 1", & 1 1/2" or above scale. I'm realistic about drawing and building but when I need a fraction.... I'm also religious about calling out "CRITICAL DIMENSION" , "HOLD CLEAR" or both when the design warrants it. (Big supporter of text below the dimension line) I also use EQUAL / EQUAL when I want something centered and not dependent on how it got framed in the real world. I find the settings accuracy important for the program ie: evenly distributing copies of items etc. but rely on experience for how it's actually designed (and that includes fractions.) Bye the way if you have a long string of dimensions w/ a bunch of 1/8 fractions you can open that string and change the accuracy and it will self adjust.