Railing Alignment

MTL-Homes

Go to solution Solved by Chrisb222,

1 hour ago, MTL-Homes said:

Wondering if anyone has any idea how to move the railng on the steps in to align with a raling on the landing above, The newells can be offset but the railing doesn't follow. 

The plan in question can be accessed here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IuW5QSPCDAk7XrYQc8pKaDD1qJjOsJuZ?usp=sharing

I would just turn off the railing on the stairs, draw a separate railing over the stairs set to "follow stairs" and adjust as needed.

17 hours ago, MTL-Homes said:

move the railng on the steps in to align with a raling on the landing above

This seems to have become more of an issue in X14 vs previously , even in plan view, but Chris's solution should work , if matching the stair and landing railings doesn't help ( you may have already checked/tried that )

M.

Thanks for the suggestions, but  Chris's solution doesn't really work. Manually drawing the railimg won't work because there is already an interior wall where the railing needs to be. (It's under the stairs). I tried a pony wall with the lower 1/2 as an interiuor wall and the upper 1/2 as a railing but that didn't work either. I can't move the landing in or out because the platform under the landing won't align with the interior wall under the steps then. I've been using Cheif for at least 12 years and this has always been a problem. The plan is available for download at the link I posted above.

• Solution
17 hours ago, MTL-Homes said:

Chris's solution doesn't really work.

Yes it will. Draw the new railing wall off to the side first and set it to "No Room Definition"

I had to add an invisible room divider, perpendicular to the railing wall at the "top" end to keep if from breaking back downward.

681341241_ScreenShot2023-01-03at11_37_17AM.thumb.png.310da9811fd411432959fa9aff51c150.png

Excellent. I had tried that, but hadn't used the no room definition setting so it wasn't working. I had run into the problem with the railing breaking back downward before as well so this info is really helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to download and view my plan.  I had actually worked around the problem by copying and pasting the stairway to the 2nd floor and making it sligjlty less wide than the original on the 1st flloor, but this is a better solution than having two stairways accupying the same place. Still wish you could offset the railing along with the newells. 

40 minutes ago, MTL-Homes said:

Excellent. I had tried that, but hadn't used the no room definition setting so it wasn't working. I had run into the problem with the railing breaking back downward before as well so this info is really helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to download and view my plan.  I had actually worked around the problem by copying and pasting the stairway to the 2nd floor and making it sligjlty less wide than the original on the 1st flloor, but this is a better solution than having two stairways accupying the same place. Still wish you could offset the railing along with the newells. 

You're welcome! Glad that helped.