Mystery line on gable end elevation

Skip_D

Hi All,

I've been tolerating this for a long time since it's a minor annoyance but I'd love to resolve it.

On the gable end of this house, like all others I draw, there is a line that shows that aligns with the interior knee wall, which separates the living area from the attic/eve space.  I don't know why this line appears.  thoughts? 

The plan is uploaded as well,

thanks & Merry Christmas!

Skip

image.png

734900330_Marcille-Existing.plan

11 minutes ago, Skip_D said:

Hi All,

I've been tolerating this for a long time since it's a minor annoyance but I'd love to resolve it.

On the gable end of this house, like all others I draw, there is a line that shows that aligns with the interior knee wall, which separates the living area from the attic/eve space.  I don't know why this line appears.  thoughts? 

The plan is uploaded as well,

thanks & Merry Christmas!

Skip

image.png

734900330_Marcille-Existing.plan 13.8 MB · 1 download

It is the automatic attic wall that is filling in.  Many times it is not sure where to transition it.  You can extend the actual wall you drew to fill in this area to replace the attic wall or in some cases you can edit what is there currently.  You can try to do this by using the "Edit Wall Layer Intersections" tool in some cases to fix this issue.

Thanks, but no luck.  I had tried editing the wall layers but that didn't work.  I also tried extending my intended wall on the 2nd floor, but in plan, when selected it shows as one continous wall.  I also tried manipulating it in different ways in elevation but it keeps re-generating as an auto wall.  I can delete it but the program won't allow me to maually extend/alter the the adjacent or below wall to fill in the hole.  There must be something I'm missing.  

54 minutes ago, Skip_D said:

but in plan, when selected it shows as one continous wall.

That is why it is showing as two in elevation view because it is not sure what to do with the knee wall intersection basically three walls coming together at one point.  You may need to look at the option of build through wall at end or start depending on that knee walls direction.

56 minutes ago, Skip_D said:

the program won't allow me to maually extend/alter the the adjacent or below wall to fill in the hole.  There must be something I'm missing.  

If you don’t care about the framing schematics then you can mark that wall below to ballon frame in the structures tab and it should help it as well.

32 minutes ago, rgardner said:

If you don’t care about the framing schematics then you can mark that wall below to balloon frame in the structures tab and it should help it as well.

Turning off Auto Attic Walls ( Alt-Q) , deleting the small triangular attic wall and then *ballooning the Framing is my goto in these situations....

( do this on both ends of building - you can even go to the attic level 1st and delete the Attic walls as CA does't always clean them out as it should on its own leaving extra visible lines etc)

image.thumb.png.73c2da90002695f7611af1c2257dcf69.png  image.thumb.png.f3a99cf5ad6a4ce4a5fcfe1f6d0e13b2.png

*cos really what framer is gonna listen to the Arch./Designer about how to frame something anyway :) 

** Looks like you must be using a really old Template plan  ( or it started in HDP? ) as you don't have any saved Plan Views.....

M.

Oh and George , looks like you are on X13, so hopefully you are aware of Chief going Subscription on Jan. 9th, 2023?

best to upgrade and get SSA before then....

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I haven't tried them yet but I'm optimistic they'll work.

Mick, Thanks for the heads up on software.  We do have the SSA but we're still on 13 here because I have 4 licenses/users and not all our computers can handle the upgrade yet.  We'll get there.

Best,

George

3 hours ago, Skip_D said:

We do have the SSA but we're still on 13 here because I have 4 licenses/users and not all our computers can handle the upgrade yet.  We'll get there

As Eric mentioned if you can run X13 , then X14 should be no Issue , the Issue for most was the graphics requirements in the step up from X12 to X13 or X14

with the new 3D Engine ( called Astral) in X13 and up.

If your SSAs are paid up , even if not using X14 then you are ok and will have the New Perpetual License as long as you keep paying SSA, let any of them expire and you will have to switch to Subscription  ( $200mth / $2000/yr.)  ( You can no longer transfer/sell licenses either )

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/licensing/

Mick.

1 hour ago, solver said:

I cannot use the enhanced rendering options because of the video card

Could of sworn I tested X13 on my 970 before I sold that system.... so had thought the 900 series was okay , though I think CA now recommends a 1000 series as a minimum.

Mick.