Chief Architect for modern European architecture

Marr2000

Hi everyone.

I am looking into getting Chief Architect for architectural design and documentation. I am an Architect based in Scandinavia.  The software seems easy to use for the purpose. 

However, all of the examples I see on the website and on the forum show architecture that seems to be common in North America. In Northern Europe, architecture has quite different aesthetics. I am in no way saying that one is better than the other, just different. Here, buildings are usually simpler in form, with simpler roof forms (often flat)  and windows with less divisions (mullions) . Interiors are also generally more minimalistic and  furniture choice is different.

Does anyone here have experience using Chief Architect in a European context? Are the libraries and tools so geared towards North America that it becomes a hindrance?

P.s. Images show an example of the Norhern European style i am referring to. 

Villa-Rypen-CF-Moller-Architects-7.jpg

Villa-Rypen-CF-Moller-Architects-1.jpg

Once Chief's tools are understood the designs shown are no more difficult than "North America Buildings." As a beginner it may seem difficult but all the tools are there and they just need to be used in a slightly different way. Here's an example that's expertly done but not a complex model to execute in Chief.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Larry. Much appreciated. 

That said, it's really great to have a software which can adapt to any style of architecture. Chief can perform alongside any software in the industry, and with what appears to be a much lower learning curve. 

To the original post, Europe is a bit further ahead of the US housing market with modernism. The demand here is growing however. That said, the Chief Architect marketing department has never quite showcased much beyond traditional dwellings, but perhaps they should. 

For example, in So Cal the houses are literally over the top... Chief could draw this no problem. 

Snip20221223_39.png

I agree I think Chief won't have an issue with European modern/minimalist design especially once you have Templates setup with Euro. Wall types etc.

However you will/should make a decision fast as Chief is going subscription on Jan.9th 2023 .............. they do have the annual 10% off sale on now though.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/37322-chief-architect-software-licensing-changes-beginning-january-10-2023/

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/37539-software-sale-save-10/?tab=comments#comment-284616

Mick.

I'm doing more and more modern designs based on the same design aesthetic overall, and CA is very easy to work with.

The main challenges come from getting a beautiful 3d model converted down into 2d working drawings.

That is hard in any country.

But with all the newer setup tools, templates, styles and such, if your smart, take the time to first set up your version of CA for

how you like to draft and design, then tweak it for your form of building plan oversight, it will be simple and easy.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:28 PM, Marr2000 said:

Here, buildings are usually simpler in form, with simpler roof forms (often flat)

You’ll eventually build your template and library to suit your needs, but the first thing you need to figure out is the proper way to handle flat roofs in Chief. 
Easily done, but not obvious at first. 

There are quite a few videos, just search flat roof or parapet. 
Since most homes in Europe, even when they have a flat roof, there’s always some sort of parapet however small it is. 
The trick is to build a floor level where you want your roof to be, Then the ceiling height of that room will determine the height of your parapet walls. 
You can add a cap to the wall/parapet and put a finish on the flat roof. 
If you want to show a pitch or even a central drain with a four sided slope than you can use roof planes to create this on your flat roof. 

I agree that CA can handle NA and European structures.  It's weakness is the libraries.  Most often, I need to 'furnish' a designed home to have the client relate to it.  But furniture, fixtures, appliances are often 'dated'.  It's hard to find modern looking elements.  That's where our European friends will struggle I believe.

Thank you for posting that Michael. For years I've been using "gutters" to create the curb. 

We don't use parapets, but rather let the EPDM ride over a 4-6" tall curb. and then it gets flashed. The roof is pitched in real world (towards internal drains) but for the sake of the 2D elevations, the roof is specified as flat. The pitch board detail is shown with CAD lines in the details.  

...regarding furnishing etc... the 3d warehouse has some helpful .skp models, but you have to be pretty careful in selecting low surface count furnishing. 

CA will get there though. They've come a very long way since the Victorian arm chairs!

Snip20221224_44.thumb.png.412a76f604edaad4dec58a23cbcda282.png

8 minutes ago, VHampton said:

regarding furnishing etc..

For furniture I will export my model to TwinMotion, and use the furniture in there.

I’ll also add all the landscaping, vehicles and people in TM. 

I only use Chief for the 3d model, cabinetry and trimming as well as construction documents, of course. 

Regarding your curb, I would still use a parapet wall as the curb. You have more automatic options as well as framing options with a wall.

By the look of your drawing that curb, as you call it, looks at least 20cm high? Anyway, give it a try. 

Nice model, by the way. 

Thank you Michael.  Agreed w/ Twin Motion being a wonderful resource.

Regarding the curb, I guess that's just what we happen to call them. Technically they would indeed qualify as extremely low parapet walls. 

The design intent is to make them not so obvious.  ...That said, the parapet method is going to be looked into! Appreciate the video. 

...and thank you. Back to the original post... Chief Architect can build just about anything. 

Snip20221224_45.thumb.png.d60775575af24e7b4ff99efc25e9b67f.png

Thank you all for the insightful replies and great examples of your work.

those of you who posted your own “modernist” works, it would be really intersting to see the Construction document sheets, just to get a feel for the overall look of the graphics?

22 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Are you aware that Chief has a "Samples Gallery" where you can download Projects including the PDFs.....  you would need the Trial Version to Open the plans though.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

M.

I had seen the gallery but missed that there are full PDF sets. That is very interesting indeed. Thank you.