Survey Lines

coffcons

Go to solution Solved by coffcons,

I have Chief 9.5 and I'm attempting to take a survey map and draw the lines in Chief. The thing that is messing me up is that in Chief, North equals 90 degrees and East equals 0 degrees while in surveyences North equals 0 degress and East equals 90 degrees. My brain is sore. Please help.

The first thing you should do is to create a "North Pointer" object that is accurate relative to the structure, then the rest is rather easy. Using the default "North" (up-screen) would be difficult to impossible to do. Then you can use the "Input Line" tool using vectors and distances.

This method has not changed since version 9.5.

DJP

David, unless I'm missing something the input line angles in Chief are the opposite (counterclockwise) to the Surveyor's method of mapping plots. Degree/Minute/Second input numbers increase clockwise while Chief inputs appear to increase counterclockwise.

In other words, if a surveyor line is designated as S72° 04' 40"E, in order to enter this line angle properly, one must do some fancy math in order to get that same angle with Chief, right? You will need to designmate Chief's line angle at something like 342°, I think. Do you have a method for this?