Large file size WOW! How to lower it in Chief?

JECORMIER

Hello All-

I've got this giant file size on this project and it's giving me some microsoft blue circle of death each move I make with the mouse button now (very slow to work in). I don't know what's going on with this but I can't seem to figure out how to make the file size smaller and not have the computer / program calculate a bazillion items before it allows me to make another move.

In fact, in order to upload the plan and layout files I needed to compress them to get below the 14 mb limit. I couldn't even upload the layout file due to being over the 14mb limit here. Sheesh!

Thank you for your help in advance.

Justin

Update on memory... GOT 32G from 16G.

THE SUMMIT - COMPRESSED PLAN FILE.zip

Once you are through using PDF's to help  create a .plan file you should discard them as they tend to bloat the size of a .plan file by default. However, after I deleted those PDF's the size of the .plan  file did not significantly lessen as I figured it would, so the next thing I suspect is the presence of a high count imported symbol or symbols, thought that is at present merely a supposition.

DJP

On further inspection, the presence of so many furniture objects and custom 3D solids may have also contributed to the total 3D face counts and ultimate size of the .plan file. The .plan file does not appear to be cleaned up for interior rendering, so why all the furniture, I wonder...

DJP

On further inspection, the presence of so many furniture objects and custom 3D solids may have also contributed to the total 3D face counts and ultimate size of the .plan file. The .plan file does not appear to be cleaned up for interior rendering, so why all the furniture, I wonder...

I deleted all the "Furniture, Interior" objects and that also did not significantly reduce the file size...

DJP

Delete the furniture.  Do you really need to show a TV hanging on the wall.

theater chairs - face count 6620

pool table - face count 7998

hot tub - face count 8168

fire pit - face count 9511

I think you get the idea.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes the problem can be hard to find.  There was a download available for a more realistic looking grass.  I used it on a plan and it made the file size almost unusable.  You could start deleting groups of items and keep track of file size.  You will eventually find the problem item or items.

2 hours ago, JECORMIER said:

Hello All-

I've got this giant file size on this project and it's giving me some microsoft blue circle of death each move I make with the mouse button now (very slow to work in). I don't know what's going on with this but I can't seem to figure out how to make the file size smaller and not have the computer / program calculate a bazillion items before it allows me to make another move.

In fact, in order to upload the plan and layout files I needed to compress them to get below the 14 mb limit. I couldn't even upload the layout file due to being over the 14mb limit here. Sheesh!

Thank you for your help in advance.

Justin

Update on memory... GOT 32G from 16G.

THE SUMMIT - COMPRESSED PLAN FILE.zip 12.43 MB · 5 downloads

I'm Looking at the plan. Nice job. You need to update your signature to X14.

I will post if I see anything creating the file size.

I don't think 52 MB is a huge file. Better plan organization will help improve the file performance.

• Review your layer sets and turn off layers that are not specific to the tasks required by that type of view.
  • Create a layer set for exterior camera views. By turning off just some interior items, the model surface count drops by 1M surfaces!
  • Once your decks are finalized, turn off the auto-framing for those rooms.
  • Purge materials.
  • Simplify the CAD block for  HVAC items outside.
  • Don't use concrete fill in plan view; save it for section views!

3 hours ago, JECORMIER said:

Justin,

I work with file sizes like you have many times. Yes, I dress mine out for the clients during the design process to give them a better understanding of space. The file size does not bother me.  I have opened yours with no issues. Your CPU Intel i7-4770 Quad-Core is almost 10 years old. I believe that is your main issue. I could not imagine how slow your computer would be handling this file. 

The benchmark speed of your cpu is 7055, while a new i9-13900K is 59658. If you are designing homes of this caliber then In my opinion it would pay you to upgrade your system. I'm guessing that you must have a newer Video card than the GTX 970. I did not think that X14 would run on that card.

Regards,

Ken

2 hours ago, JECORMIER said:

Ken-

I would agree with your assessment in that our computer rigs need upgrading for sure.

I'll start the process for all 3 computer stations I have at the office.

Thanks for taking time to review and the advice.

Justin,

I'm glad I was able to help! Happy Holidays.