Switching from Mac to PC

Ihavequestions

Hey there, 

I'm a new Chief user. I purchased the pro software so that I could design my own house. I have been using an all in one Mac but I am wanting to buy a new desktop PC. Has anyone ever made the switch? Will all my saved files transfer? What is the process for making the switch? 

Thanks 

Chief doesn't care if it is running on a Mac or a PC and can Open files made on either OS in the Other , you just can't open New files in Older Versions eg X12 won't open X14 Plans.

It sounds like you may have Home Designer Pro though? not Chief so it is probably better to ask other Users of  HDP (Pro) over on HomeTalk ( this is ChiefTalk ) which is here :  ( same logon etc. )

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

M.

I switched from Mac to PC in February 2022.  I downloaded the Windows version of X14, Every file was compatible.  I did download and update my Library though.  

I did because I wanted to use Physically based renderings.  

I ordered a PC with a NVIDIA 3800Ti.  It's very fast.

7 hours ago, Electromen said:

I switched from Mac to PC

No! You went to the other side?

seriously though, how is it?

I’m not really interested in real-time RT so besides that is there any benefit?

The reasons I had switched from PC to Mac about 12 years ago was because I was tired of how dramatically slow a new computer would get only after a few months of purchasing it. 
I was constantly upgrading various components to improve performance. 
Constantly upgrading drivers and software updates. 
Having to pay for all software, word, excel and pdf editors etc. 

Is all that still a thing on PC?

I have a very modest MacBook Pro and based on video demonstrations on this forum and even Chief’s training videos I don’t see a speed difference. 
Everyone it seems complain about the same stuff regardless of system. 

Anyway, I realize I just hijacked this guy’s post with my questions to you but if you have the time I’d love to hear how it’s going. 

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

No! You went to the other side?

seriously though, how is it?

I've worked on both platforms and I personally prefer PC. Biggest beef with Macs to me is the lack of upgradeability. They are great machines, don't get me wrong, but they are overpriced and I hate sinking 3K+ into a computer and being stuck with no way to upgrade without dropping another 3K in two years. With a PC, I can choose to add more memory, disk space, upgrade to the latest graphics card or CPU, at any interval I want. 

Concerning software, drivers, etc. Microsoft moved Office 365 to a yearly subscription, so you don't buy the software anymore. Same with Adobe... NVidia will tell you when new drivers come out and you can optionally choose to upgrade and it's streamlined. You can buy legit Windows licenses super cheap. It really isn't an issue. I built my own PC about 18 months ago, spent less than 2K, and it blows my wife's Macbook Pro (which she purchased shortly after I built the PC), out of the water even with the graphics card now being a generation old. 

To each their own though :)

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 7:22 AM, Ihavequestions said:

Hey there, 

I'm a new Chief user. I purchased the pro software so that I could design my own house. I have been using an all in one Mac but I am wanting to buy a new desktop PC. Has anyone ever made the switch? Will all my saved files transfer? What is the process for making the switch? 

Thanks 

Absolutely no issues with file transfer.  I collaborate with lots of users every day across systems.

I am biased and don’t mind paying for quality tools that keep me running 100% without any downtime at all in my entire time of working 100% with Chief on Mac. Everyone needs to do what works best for them, as far as switching I will just post this link:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3