How do I recreate a Cabinet Shelving Specification view in an Elevation?

RRSSeattle

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

Help!

New user here. I'm looking for a dynamic elevation view on cabinets that include shelving dimensions. PDF and Plan example attached.

My client has been able to provide the dimensions and layout that they are looking for, however I'm unable to recreate the elevation view in the same style they provided. I've searched the reference manual, knowledge base, youtube, and this forum, and don't seem to be finding a good solution for an Elevation view.

Seems like a basic thing, however I've spent too much time. Time to call in some experts, you!

Thanks for any help!

**Using X14 Premier on Apple MacBook Air.**

CabinetShelvingElevationSample.pdf CabinetShelvingElevationSample.plan

I don't believe there's a good way to make this happen exactly in the way that you want, specifically having it fully dynamic.

A Back Clipped Cross Section is probably your best bet in creating the view itself.

The problem is though any dimension you pull is dimensioning to "Cross Section Lines", not the actual cabinet elements themselves, so they'll be created as Point to Point dimensions.

image.thumb.png.10f0b45643b63137f94ccb40a1073a29.png

Meaning if the shelf config changes, the dimensions will need to be manually adjusted.

image.thumb.png.f7c25b53939edd664319a27990313f74.png

• Solution

As far as I know, you can't dimension to internal cabinet shelves. You can do a view to cad detail or you could add some cad lines, but that won't be "live".

You can dimension to cabinet openings though.  Just give your cabinet 3 openings (including the one at the bottom) and then you can dimension to them.  You won't be able to adjust the depth of the separations between the openings like you can with shelves but this probably doesn't matter for any elevation views.  The picture below is an actual elevation view with live dimensions.

dimension to cab openings.png

cab with openings.png

• Upvote 1

I simply create a CAD view and dimension everything there.  It's certainly a bit of trial and error as sometimes you have to scrap what you've done, change something in the cabinet, then recreate the CAD section and dimension from there.  The lack of a dynamic link makes this process quite tedious, but I've learned that when I get to about 80-100% of what I want, all further edits are made in the CAD view, saved and updated as needed.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

I simply create a CAD view and dimension everything there.  It's certainly a bit of trial and error as sometimes you have to scrap what you've done, change something in the cabinet, then recreate the CAD section and dimension from there.  The lack of a dynamic link makes this process quite tedious, but I've learned that when I get to about 80-100% of what I want, all further edits are made in the CAD view, saved and updated as needed.

Thank you, I was hoping I was overlooking a dynamic solution, but I guess I'll stick with the approach you have also been using.

2 hours ago, DBCooper said:

As far as I know, you can't dimension to internal cabinet shelves. You can do a view to cad detail or you could add some cad lines, but that won't be "live".

You can dimension to cabinet openings though.  Just give your cabinet 3 openings (including the one at the bottom) and then you can dimension to them.  You won't be able to adjust the depth of the separations between the openings like you can with shelves but this probably doesn't matter for any elevation views.  The picture below is an actual elevation view with live dimensions.

dimension to cab openings.png

cab with openings.png

Excellent, thank you. If the measurements update as changes to the cabinet are made, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I've tried what you shared and I'll have to mess around with my settings and preferences later because right now all my measurements are going to the centerline of the opening vs inside to inside like your example. I reset everything to factory thinking I messed something up before I knew anything. I now know a little more than nothing :)

4 hours ago, RRSSeattle said:

measurements update as changes to the cabinet are made, that is exactly what I'm looking for

I've got a client that does a lot of closets and one of the designers he uses changes shelf spacing all the time. This is based on what I worked out for that and honest it's becomes faster than the alternative of building the cabinets (especially handling revisions)

2093590529_shelfdims.thumb.jpg.df69ef4b3bdc3c9e57f21ae86ffb8a35.jpg

Verticals are partitions, horizontals are individual 3/4" high cabinets (I used base here but for the closets I use wall cabinets for the shelves since there are items on the floor), the back is a wall material region.

Set all of these in the default first if you have more than a few to do. Use transform replicate to copy and move shelves. You can then dimension to them. Only down side is needing to suppress the shelf thickness (which I don't need to do for the closets :) but you can do that all at once in the dimension DBX

If there are a lot of these or something done often then you can set up style palettes for shelves at different heights.

PS- next time please upload a screen shot instead of PDF.

cabinet shelves dims.zip

• Upvote 2